rip DVD-R

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smartalic34, Sep 24, 2006.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I have a couple DVD-R's that I would like to rip onto my MBP... which app would be better for this task, MacTheRipper or Handbrake? Thanks...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

are you talking about a data dvd or a movie dvd?
    mac the ripper is ripping the dvd file to your disk, with no compression, so no quality loss. Handbrake will compress the file, so it will take longer time, will have quality loss, also will result in a much smaller file.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You don't need MTR for a DVD-R, since it can't physically have CSS encryption on it. If you want to rip it as MTR would, just drag & drop the files to a folder on your HDD.

B

4. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

it's a movie dvd-r... so I should drag and drop for no compression or handbrake for compression... those are 2 two options (as mtr is same as drag and drop if I understand correctly)

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it purely depends on how you wanna store them
    mtr: 100% quality, 4~6GB
    handbrake: can be <1GB, 80~90% quality. take 1~2 hours to finish the operation, and if you do wanna use it, be sure to set the bitrate to be at least 1000kbps in order to obtain good quality.