Rip DVD to edit in IMovie (for free)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by debbiedynamite, Jul 31, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to rip a DVD of my own videos. I don't have the original files anymore, and want to edit it (in imovie - I have a brand new mbp) really I just want to separate the tracks and add subtitles to make karaoke videos of my original music :)

I tried mac the ripper, but I could not open the file it exported in imovie or quicktime (could only watch it) and I tried another one that had a watermark on the free version. Any suggestions would be awesome!!!

(would be extra special if you also happened to know how easy it is to do karaoke titles in imovie..)

THANKS A MILLION!!!!

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

3. Guest

spinnerlys

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=861290:

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks - trying it all now...

as for the MPEG streamclip - do you recommend the regular or beta?

5. Guest

spinnerlys

Regular does suffice.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

mpeg streamclip

thanks for all this help!!! a couple questions about exporting with mpeg streamclip...

what compression should I use? (is that what you meant by "encoded with a DV codec?)
    also,
    do I keep sound uncompressed? (hope to use it)
    and do I keep the frame size unscaled?
    also interlaced or deinterlace??

7. Guest

spinnerlys

Compression is done via codecs. DV or Apple Intermediate Codec should suffice. Sound should stay uncompressed, no scaling and leave it interlaced.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

didn't work ..

it took like 2 days for the mpegstreamclip to finish, and the mov is only sound, no video..

9. Guest

spinnerlys

What exact Mac do you have, which Mac OS X version does run on it and what MPEG Streamclip version did you use?

Mac OS X version is listed under 2, Mac model is listed under three (Model Identifier).

[​IMG]

How long is the movie and did you use the actual DVD in the SuperDrive or another Optical Disc Drive within MPEG Streamclip or did you rip the DVD to your HDD first?

Did you get the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component or did you go via Handbrake first?

Can you be please so so kind to offer more detailed information about the steps and settings you have taken? Otherwise we are only guessing, and that does prolong the procedure unnecessarily.

If you want, you can take screenshots of every step and attach those shots to your next post.
    Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.