rip dvd's on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by junkionxl, Jan 6, 2005.

1. junkionxl macrumors member

Feb 22, 2003
    Is there a way to rip a dvd movies on a mac? I haven't found an app that just makes a duplicate dvd just only vcd or divx files... If anyone has any leads please reply...
    Thanks Jimmy
  2. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
  3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    I think that you should find everything that you need in this thread from last month....
  4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    HandBrake is a fantastic little cocoa app that'll do it all for you! Very reliable, good quality rips (straight to XviD or ffmpeg), AAC or MP3 audio too.

You don't get massive amounts of control, and it's not the most efficient software in the world, nor can you specify the thread priority but it does the job, its a doddle to use, its completely free and will rip straight from the DVD.

The best way to do it is with two little apps. One called YadeX, which will decrypt the DVD to your harddisk, and then D-Vision 3 (basically an easy to use interface for MEncoder) which will encode the VOBs to a file of your choosing. Its straightforward, and you get a lot more control. The rips are better quality (if you're playing them from your mac, using VLC or something), but they're a little jittery on my Kiss DP-500 networked dvd/divx player. As before, both apps are free.

YadeX: http://homepage DOT mac DOT com/jibee/macetvideo/yade_X_us.0.99b.sit

I hope you're not planning on doing anything illegal...

Edit: YadeX is what you want to burn a higher capacity DVD onto a DVDR, just create your VIDEO_TS folder containing the new VOBs
  5. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2004
    Miami, FLorida
    Backup (Cough Cough) DVD's

OK - listen to everything I have to say. I have done LOTS of research - tried MANY programs - so learn from my mistakes. Here is the simple, cheapest, and best way to (ehemmm) "Back up DVD Movies".

First use Mac the Ripper (Free)
    to "backup" the DVD Movie to your hard drive. Mac the Ripper Uncrypts the movie - now its ready to me remastered into a DVD.

2nd - Use DVDRemaster ($39.99)
    This will create another folder on your hard drive which can be used to create your new "backup" DVD.

3rd - Use DVDImage (FREE)
    this is the last step.

Pop in any DVD Player and enjoy all of your new "Backups".