RIP Lilly B (My iPod has passed to a better place) now to move on ....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MikeJett86, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MikeJett86 macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2005
    Dallas, Tx
    well.... :(

last night I tried to sync my dearest Lilly B with my new mac mini (yet to be named) and well .... i got an error message. said it needed to be reset to factory setttings. So I did. but alas- no go ... it now won't sync all of my music- it gets about 34GB of it ... i have a 3G 40 gb iPod ... it just gives me an error saying it failed for some unknown reason. I think it has something to do with the little tumble it took two weeks ago ... since then it had been skipping on one of my songs ... so ... i think the hard drive was damaged and since I bought my lovely Lilly a little over a year ago (i think) and I have misplaced my extended warranty stuff I got from CompUSA (I bought it in arkansas, land devoid of the lovely place known as the Apple Store) but the warranty was only for a year anyway. So now, it's time to move on, and get a new iPod. But see, I'm in a pickle. Should I go ahead and get a 60 GB iPod photo? or just a shuffle to tide me over until the next generation of iPods come out? because it still plays some music.

So i guess- my real question is, seeing as the actual purchase decision is up to me in the end, has any one heard any rumors about the next generations of iPods? I think I remember reading something about a new 80 GB HD being made by the same company that makes the iPod HDs .... seeing as I have filled my 40 almost to the gills, moving up in size is the only option ... Also- tips on a good place to get a nice deal...

thank you to anyone who can help.

2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Once you go color, you'll never go back!

I have 900 images on my iPod photo and love it.

But it is your money.
  3. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    ipod diagnostic mode can see what's wrong with your ipod before getting rid of it and see if it's worth fixing :)
  4. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    It sounds like the HD in your old ipod went bad. I recommend that you go for a 60gb iPod Photo, as it should last you quite a while and the price is right for many people.
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Very good idea to look into! Though it might just say "you are screwed" but its still nice to know if its fixable or not.
  6. MikeJett86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2005
    Dallas, Tx
    Well- when I dropped it in the dock tonight something happened I've never seen happen before. a disk with a magnifying glass came up on the screen and a little progress bar. It took a long time to go through it all (hours) but once it finished there was a check mark and then the rest of my songs synced ..... so maybe i have another couple of months left with it .... so that's good- don't need to spend anymore money for a lil bit.

well this post's topic has changed a bit .. but oh well ...
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Very suiting as we're about to enter Easter... (said the ateist...) :D

Don't say it was "out cold" for 3 days...
  8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    It did a disk check and repaired any errors. You can force it to run in diagnostic mode, but it seems like it ran on its own initiative.

9. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah, my old ipod would do the diagnostic once & a while. good to know it's there when you need it.

however, if you DO need to replace lilly in the near future (cover her ears), i would definately go w/ the Photo. the color screen is so nice. very crisp, clear & the font is so much better.