Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicrose

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Hi

I'm trying to print something to the RIP at my work and it won't print.

It looks like it's working but when I go to the imagesetter, nothing's printed.

I tried flattening the acrobat file - that didn't help. The RIP just says 1...2...1...2 then goes back to ..0 way too quickly. Then when I go to the imagesetter to advance the film, it says "no partner" or something.

THis is a Linotype-Hell RIP 50. It only goes up to Postscript 2.

The document itself is in grayscale.
Could it be a font issue? I pre-flighted it and got no problems. All fonts found.

When I first opened the customer's orig. doc, I had to find one of the fonts.
Depending on what app I used to open it I'd get different results.
In acrobat, It says some characters in Zurich may not print right because there is an invalid encoding. In Illustrator, when I open it it says some fonts may be outlined to preserve appearance. And like I said, InDesign the preflight went ok. I don't know if this Zurich font is causing the problems.
When I sent the proof to the customer, he said everything looked okay. (I specifically asked him to carefully check the fonts.)

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Nicrose

oscuh

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
Michigan
Yes, first question is what was the original doc created in?

Next it sounds like the font might be causing the file to dump when it hits your RIP.

Next issue is arethere any .eps files that you're using? This could be the cause. If it's a photoshop, .eps, something as simple as resaving as a .tiff and re-placing will rectify the issue.

That being said, it sounds like your Zurich is the culprit. If you're usingit just as a headline or something to that effect, you can always create a outlined or raster version and place that ... if it's your body copy, you might be up a creek ...

Get back to us with some more info, and from there I might have some other ideas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.