RipIt and Converting to MP4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BPD-FLA, Jun 15, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

May 12, 2010
    I am using RipIt to rip some of my DVD's and the file created is .dvdmedia

I am using VisualHub to convert the files to a MP4 format for use in iTunes and Apple TV. The Problem I am having is that sometimes the converter, VisualHub, is saying I cannot convert because it is recognizing it as a folder instead of a file.

Should I be using a different ripping program or different converter?

Any thoughts and help would be great!

2. Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    There is also MacTheRipper and Fairmount to rip the DVDs and Handbrake to convert it to an .mp4 or .mkv file.
  3. macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2008
  4. macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2008
    Up north
    Use Handbrake and choose the "Apple Universal" preset.
  5. macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004

RipIt now has built-in handbrake conversion. I recommend trying that. I only use visualhub to convert to DVD and also odd formats every now and then.
  6. macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2010
    Apple TV / ATVFlash and Cyberduck

I just purchased an Apple TV this week. I installed ATVFlash. I use Ripit to rip my DVDs. I then use CyberDuck to FTP the complete file to my Apple TV. It works like a charm. ATVFlash loads a program called NitoTV. NitoTV has a complete DVD player built in. The DVDs playback just as they would if I had loaded them into a set top player, menu and all. Another bonus of installing ATVFlash is that I can now use the USB port on the back of the Apple TV for an external drive loaded with ripped DVDs. You may want to give ATVFlash a try.

By the way. If you use CyberDuck use the Bonjour button to find your Apple TV, and the password and user name are the same: frontrow. It took me a few tries to figure those two things out. I just want to save you some time.

Good luck.