ripping a consumer camcorder dvd?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi there,

i run a video transfer business and i've come across something i've yet to see.

client has a DVD-camcorder. he has a dvd which failed part way through recording. there is material before the failure and believe it or not, afterwards. he says the disc is NOT finalized, but i guess he reviewed the footage. the failure spot is fairly lengthy, therefore he wants to retrieve the rest.

if the disc is not finalized, does anyone know how i can get this material off?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Until it's finalized, it will only play in the camcorder. Until then, it's not a valid DVD. You'll probably have to capture it from the client's camcorder.

And this is a great example of why tape is still better.

/Old School baby!

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While not from a camcorder, but I've managed to "recover" some failed UDF DVDs by doing a copy with dd and then ultimately finalizing the disc with Nero on my PC.

The data is still on the disc and will be written serially, unless the client, deletd some clips and went back to write over it, so you should be able to recover it.

B

4. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks for the info. i'll see about connecting his camera to my systems. that would be cool if it works :)

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Good thread

My inlaw's have a DVD camcorder and since I'm selling them my iMac, I'm sure this is going to come up at one point or another.