Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fourbin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I've noticed that my application disks always get lost or scratched and recently it has been really annoying me with all the money I spend on these things. Considering I have over 500GB of hard drive space I want to start storing my discs as images on my external hard drive. I have Roxio Toast Platinum and while it burns disc images it doesn't look like it "rips" them. If it does, can someone help me figure it out and if not can you point me in the direction of software that does?

Thanks much!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Fourbin said:
I've noticed that my application disks always get lost or scratched and recently it has been really annoying me with all the money I spend on these things. Considering I have over 500GB of hard drive space I want to start storing my discs as images on my external hard drive. I have Roxio Toast Platinum and while it burns disc images it doesn't look like it "rips" them. If it does, can someone help me figure it out and if not can you point me in the direction of software that does?

Thanks much!
Why don't you just use Disk Utilities?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
stoid said:
Disk Utilities I've found doesn't preserve certain files the way Toast does, and some install discs on high-end software will think you are pirating the software if you try to install off of a copied CD from Disk Utility.
It does preserve things if you select "DVD/CD master" for the type of image.

WolfJLupus

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
Snohomish WA
-wuff-

Bear said:
It does preserve things if you select "DVD/CD master" for the type of image.

It works for me. I haven't had any problems with it. The ISO's seem to be intact if you do what Bear mentioned.

I have all my install CD's backed up this way (if I need the ISO) on my external drive so I have easy access if I ever need to install anything. Including my windows install CD's, which work fine.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
spacepower7 said:
hope this doesn't violate forum rules.
Not sure if this is totally correct for 10.3+

Apple has a new copy protection scheme for their CDs.

B. Select "Convert Image" from the file menu.
E. At the bottom of the save dialogue box select
DVD/CD master on the Image Format popup menu.
DiskCopy pain in the butt warning.

First of all "Disk Copy" disappeared with Panther, its functions being incorporated into "Disk Utility".

And secondly, if when you copy the CD (or DVD) to disk in the first place, you select "DVD/CD Master", you don't have to go through all those gyrations.

Be careful about propagating out of date info. It might be good if you edited your entry and deleted the contents so other people don't do the wrong thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.