"Ripping" an ISO

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fourbin, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

I've noticed that my application disks always get lost or scratched and recently it has been really annoying me with all the money I spend on these things. Considering I have over 500GB of hard drive space I want to start storing my discs as images on my external hard drive. I have Roxio Toast Platinum and while it burns disc images it doesn't look like it "rips" them. If it does, can someone help me figure it out and if not can you point me in the direction of software that does?

Thanks much!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Why don't you just use Disk Utilities?

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

There should be a menu option Save to Disc Image...

Select that rather than burn for your copy, and you're in business.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Disk Utilities I've found doesn't preserve certain files the way Toast does, and some install discs on high-end software will think you are pirating the software if you try to install off of a copied CD from Disk Utility.

5. Bear macrumors G3

It does preserve things if you select "DVD/CD master" for the type of image.

6. WolfJLupus macrumors member

-wuff-

It works for me. I haven't had any problems with it. The ISO's seem to be intact if you do what Bear mentioned.

I have all my install CD's backed up this way (if I need the ISO) on my external drive so I have easy access if I ever need to install anything. Including my windows install CD's, which work fine.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Found this on the net

edited: removed bc info was related to Pre-Panther OSX

8. Bear macrumors G3

First of all "Disk Copy" disappeared with Panther, its functions being incorporated into "Disk Utility".

And secondly, if when you copy the CD (or DVD) to disk in the first place, you select "DVD/CD Master", you don't have to go through all those gyrations.

Be careful about propagating out of date info. It might be good if you edited your entry and deleted the contents so other people don't do the wrong thing.