Ripping and Burning DVDs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HardHatMac9, Jul 2, 2004.

1. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

I've searched this site, looked it up on Google, and I have not found a definitive answer:

What is the best way to Rip and subsequently Burn DVDs in Mac OS X? That is, how can I best Rip a DVD on to my Hard Drive and then Burn a copy using my Superdrive?

Thank you in advance for all your comments!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As you likely know, most DVDs are too big to copy directly (i.e., bigger than 4.7 GB), so you won't be able to make a perfect copy of most of them.

I've been pretty happy with DVDRemaster, but it doesn't handle encrypted DVDs, which sucks. However, DVD Backup works reasonably well here, and you can use DVDRemaster afterwards.

3. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

*Warning! Stupid question ahead!*

What does it mean to 'rip' a DVD...?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Copying a DVD to your hard drive, probably for the purpose of copying back to a blank DVD.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Handbrake

I use Handbrake...it's super simple and easy to use. It allows you to choose final file size or bitrate, and allows you to rip as either an .mp4 file or a .avi file. Here you go:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12987

6. HardHatMac9 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...So Handbrake is the current standard???

Handbrake seems like it is a good program. What do you use to burn it onto a DVD once you have ripped it onto your hard-drive?

Thanks for your comments more would be even better!

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Handbreak is for ripping for computer use only. To rip and burn back to a dvd, see this thread