Ripping audio from an .avi

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stridder44, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Sorry if this has been covered before but is there any way to rip the audio from an .avi file? (free is nice :) )

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

My hackish idea would be to use iSquint and convert it to an MP4, open it with QuickTime Player and delete the audio track, but that requires QT Pro.

Another hackish idea would be to use Audio Hijack to record the avi playing from within QuickTime/VLC/etc - I bet you can do that with the trial.

3. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I do have QT Pro fortunately. I just know I've done this before and it was really simple but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it....

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You could try Movie Conversion Tools

I think you need to identify whether the avi plays in QuickTime Player via QuickTime's library or another third-party plugin (e.g. Flip4Mac), because if it plays via QuickTime then you can open it in QuickTime Player, go to Show Movie Properites, and delete the video track, and then Export. If not, you'd have to use something like ffmpegX or VLC.

5. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Quicktime just seems to stall and beachball it (I have flip4mac installed too). VLC seems to be the only thing that can open (and play) it. I didn't know you could export from VLC...how do you do this? I looked around but couldn't find anything. Thank you I appreciate your quick responses