Ripping audio from video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NightLord, Jan 17, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2005
    I have some standup comedy shows that I want to rip the audio track from to put them on my ipod mini, does anyone know of a program that'll let me do this?

Thanks a lot :)
  2. macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Quicktime Pro let's you do this, so does Audio Hijack Pro.
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If they're already in the form of video files, I think ffmpegx (free) also does this.

It would be great if there were an app that in a really simple way (like iSquint level of simplicity) took a DVD of a concert / musical / etc (in which the tracks correspond more or less to the tracks on the soundtrack) and just let you click a button, rip all the chapters into separate AAC files, populate the ID3, and put them in iTunes. But I don't know of anything that simple. :(

Although, in your case, probably what ffmpegx, Audio Hijack, etc, do would be fine.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2005
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    I think iMovie can do this if the original file is in a format that it can understand - import it into iMovie and then export the sound track - go to Share menu, save project as QuickTime movie, go to advanced options and save out as audio (might have to be AIFF but not sure), then drag/drop into iTunes.
  6. macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    I think you're right, iMovie does have the option to do so.