Ripping CDs to flac with log and cue files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lara F, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I'd like to do this, but can't seem to find a good way on OSX - most tutorials just show how using Exact Audio Copy on Windows. The closest I've found is Max and it won't generate cues when the tracks are ripped into separate files. Might anyone be able to help? Thanks in advance.

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502

I believe xACT will do what you want. I'm not sure about the log files though.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ok I guess this thread is a good place to ask

what is a Cue and Log file for audio ?

what is their purpose?

also, what are .M3U files

I never understood those file types for audio rips.

4. mallbritton macrumors 6502

Cue Sheet
    A cue sheet, or cue file, is an ASCII (plain text) file that specifies how the tracks of a compact disc should be laid out. Cue sheets commonly have a ".cue" filename extension. They were originally used for the CDRWIN CD recording program, but are also used with other CD software as well as music and video playback software.​

M3U
    M3U (MPEG Audio Layer 3 URL) is a computer file format that stores multimedia playlists. It was originally implemented in Winamp, although it is now supported by many applications, including VLC media player, XMMS, foobar2000, JuK, Real Player, Windows Media Player, iTunes, QuickTime Player, Yahoo! Music Engine, JetAudio, RokuLabs SoundBridge, and Playstation Portable.​

I wasn't able to find anything in Wikipedia about .log files. Perhaps someone else know?

Bueller, Bueller?

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Thanks, I knew those files were for windows users. I just ignore them and drag the Mp3's into iTUnes...that's it...so I never quite understood thier purpose.

Thanks.

6. mallbritton macrumors 6502

Yeah, I pretty much do the same thing with them myself. With Toast I don't need all those special files that Windows users need to burn audio discs. Hell, the latest version of Toast even burns audio discs directly from .flac files so I've got no worries at all.

I quit smoking almost 10 years ago to buy my car. I'm with ya on that one brother!:)