Ripping DVD audio into iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacKenzie999, Mar 26, 2006.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hey everyone...

Is it possible to suck the audio portion of a dvd into iTunes?

An album I want to buy was released in both cd and dvd video (not just dvd audio) formats; I'd like to buy the dvd but also want the audio portion on my non-video ipod, without having to buy both formats if possible.

Is this doable?

Thanks!
    -Mike

2. emaja macrumors 68000

It is a process, but it looks harder than it actually sounds.

You need OSEx and mAC3dec and for a finishing touch, MP3 Trimmer.

To demux/extract only the audio with OSEx, splitting the audio in one file per chapter which usually is a song...

- After starting OSeEx and inserting your music video DVD, make sure the correct title is selected by clicking on the "Ti" button

- Click on the "Vid" button and deselect the video stream(s). You don't want these for the audio and it will speed up the process to deselect them

- Click on the "Aud" button and select the appropriate audio stream (usually 2 channel AC3)

- Click on the "Fmt" button and select "Elem. streams"

- Click on the "Seg" button and select "Chapter" to split the audio by track in separate files

- Click "Begin" to start audio axtraction

Once this is done, you can convert these streams to MP3 or AIFF or whatever with mAC3dec which is pretty self-explanitory.

What I like to do is use MP3 Timmer to put a fade in and out at the beginning or end of the tracks. If this is a live recording, the breaks between tracks can be jarring with the applause starting and stopping. I take MP3 Trimmer and apply a fade in and out which makes it much better to listen to. It does it without re-encoding and the resulting loss of quality.

3. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

That all sounds very promising. Thank you so much for detailing this process, especially including links to free/shareware.

Much appreciated!

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

You can use wiretap. It is free and records live sound directly form your computer.

5. emaja macrumors 68000

I didn't think that WireTap was around anymore since they added WireTap Pro - which is not free. I tried the Version Tracker link and it appears to be dead.

OSEx and mAC3dec are free also. I tried WireTap and thought that the interface was harder to understand than it should be and gave up.

There is also Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack and Audio Hijack Pro. The problem with any of these recording programs is that they are real time, so you will have to play the entire DVD to get the audio. My method is not real time and takes a lot less time.

It is up to you. The programs are free or have trial versions, so download them and see which ones work for you.

6. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

This is the process I use, and it is very easy and effective.

7. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, this worked perfectly & easily. Thank you so much!

8. emaja macrumors 68000

Glad that it worked for you too. Did you try the MP3 Trimmer as well?

I have done several concert DVDs this way - even a few PAL format concert DVDs. I have another project sitting on my desk waiting for me to do now - the Vladimir Horowitz concert in Moscow from 1986 or so. They have issued it on CD, but left out a number of the selections. The only way to get the entire concert is to extract the audio from the DVD.