Ripping DVD/Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OscarTheGrouch, Jul 31, 2013.

1. OscarTheGrouch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I'm going to start ripping my DVD/BluRay collection to hard drive to watch on my PS3. What would the best format be respectively for each DVD and BluRay, and what software application would be best/most efficient at it? Anything else I am missing?

2. CylonGlitch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Handbrake

That's really all you'll need. Although I recommend ripping to one drive, then transcoding to another. I use DVDFab to rip to an external drive; and then transcode to another external drive.

3. firedept
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors demi-god

firedept

Handbrake and then iFlicks for metadata. This is what I use. It works well for me.

4. mic j
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

MakeMKV (decryption to mkv) > Handbrake (transcoding to mp4) > Subler (metadata tagging)

Note: HB probably ok for dvd decryption but not BR. That's why I use MakeMKV. It's great at decryption of both dvd and BR.

5. Xe89
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

MakeMKV for ripping Blu-ray and sometimes DVD to uncompressed mkv

Ripit for ripping DVD to .dvdmedia "file" (actually a folder)

Handbrake for transcoding ripped DVD files to smaller MKVs or MP4s

6. OscarTheGrouch
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Pardon the ignorant question, but quality wise, What's the best encoding? MP4? I know for DVD its not as important, but I want the few blurays I managed to salvage from my divorce to look as good as possible on a nice television. HDD Space isn't a horrible concern.

7. CylonGlitch
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

That is very subjective. Everyone plays the space / quality game. If do a full encoding without much compression you're looking at 40GB per movie; and if you have 100 BluRays you're going to be close to filling a 4TB drive. For me, I set it to Handbrake's high quality and then slide the quality slide down to 18 (from 20, lower is better). That yields a 3 to 5GB file and decent quality, for me.

Also, what are you going to play the movie back on is a big factor. Laptop, Tablet, Phone, ATV? Using Plex or iTunes?

8. Xe89, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

Xe89
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I usually don't transcode Blu-rays, I only use MakeMKV to put the audio and video in a different container (mkv). The whole point of Blu-ray is to get the best picture quality, that's why I don't transcode them.

EDIT: that said, mkvs created by MakeMKV will probably not work on your tv, unless you connect your PC to it of course.

MP4, like mkv, is a container format. So the quality depends on the video encoding. I use Handbrakes "High quality" setting for transcoding DVDs. With this I get 99 % of the original picture quality but at maybe 20 % of the size.

If you put the same video and audio in an mkv file and an MP4 file, I believe they will look the same. I mostly use mkv because it is better at handling several audio and subtitle tracks. If you don't need that you probably should use MP4.

9. OscarTheGrouch
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Points taken. I plan on playback through my PS3 on an HDTV.. currently it's an old 32" but will be upgrading soon to larger...