Ripping DVD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the kid 05, Aug 15, 2006.

1. the kid 05 macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    i have handbrake but i think i read some where that i have to have a program compile all of the data together before i can burn it, any one know what that would happen to be?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If your goal is to burn the ripped DVD back to a DVD you can play in a standalone player, you're using the wrong tool. Please explain what you are trying to do.

B

3. the kid 05 thread starter macrumors regular

St. Charles Illinois (subdiv of Chi-town)
    i want to be able to ripp the dvd and have it on my computer and be able to watch it, and if my friend wants a copy i cna just burn him one from my mac? yeah nay?

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i am new at this so i hope that i am correct

dvd to dvd:
    MacTheRipper --> Toast/Popcorn (maybe Burn?)

dvd to numerous non-dvd format including iPod and Quicktime compatible:
    Handbrake (some prefer to us MacTheRipper first)

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Handbrake alone will do the first part in and of itself, without any additional stuff, as long as you're OK with the MPEG-4/H.264 formats it'll rip to. You can then burn this data file to a data disc and view it on any computer that can play the generated files.

Giving a copy to a friend, however, is most likely illegal in most places around the world, so just be aware of that.

B

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if your DVD is D-5 (means the DVD data size is around 4.5GB)
    then
    1. simplyburns rip DVD into a 4.5GB *.iso. you can then use simplyburns to burn this *.iso to a blank DVD
    2. mactheripper rip DVD into a Movie folder, you can watch this through any dvd player, also you can burn it to DVD using DVD remaster. or use DVD imager to make movie folder into a *.iso, then burn as described in "1"

if you DVD is D-9, which has z size larger than 4.7GB
    1. mactheripper rip DVD into a movie folder, then use DVD remaster or FFmpegx to compress the folder into a 4.5Gb .iso then burn.
    2. buy a DVD-9 blank disk, burn it, remember DVD-9 disk is much more expensive than DVD-5 disk.