Ripping DVD to windows

Discussion in 'iPod' started by RTNDO128, Nov 9, 2005.

1. RTNDO128 macrumors newbie

Ya the dreaded windows. I've been doing my research lately and I just can't find a good program to rip a dvd and then convert it to MPEG 4 for the ipod. Any good FREE programs out there? Plus, this program must be able to resize the video (320x240 if I'm correct?). So, I need all the help i can get with this guys. Also, a guide for this would be helpful. Thanks.

2. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

yes...what i do is rip/encode with my windows machine ( put it to some use, cuz it just sits there )...and this is what i do...

1)get dvd decrypter and rip the dvd....then open the file with
    2)videora ipod converer....this will make the dvd so itll play on the ipod(320x240, mp4 etc etc )....the whole process takes about 1 1/2 hour...then i just transfer it to my powerbook then put it onto itunes...ive done about 3 movies (pirates of silicon valley, life aquatic with steve zissou and meet the parents) and they work and look great...

and yes they are both FREE...i found this on a guide somewhere....if i find the guide ill post it here for you..

3. john159 macrumors regular

ther are already 100000 posts on this but illl be quick...

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/guides.html#1000

offers a very good dvd decrypter wid good instructions,, they also offfer dvd to ipod software which is also very good but not as good as some of the software offered for mac or ones that you have to pay for...

4. john159 macrumors regular

ok yeah what they guy before me said... i jsut took longer to type it though

5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

there ya go!!!....good looking out john cuz i was dreading looking for the guide again....

6. Betateam macrumors member

Ok. please help. I know it must be some stupid simple thing I'm over looking.
    But how the heck to I get a video to the iPod?
    I've converted an AVI with Videora. I can put it in my library, then I drag it to my iPod within iTunes, but it never appears on the iPod. It shows that it transfers, but it is now where to be found.
    I do not have the autosync enabled.

I know I must be making this harder than it is, but I'm just dumb I guess.

Oh when I try to export it from Qucktime it freezes at 8% on 2 different videos.

7. john159 macrumors regular

yo i dont really understand what is wrong with it... in ipod preferences you might need to enable transefer videos to ipod... make sure it is checked so iti will sync to the ipod... when you transfer it to the ipod does it say that your ipod does not support the format... becuase that means it isnt formated for the video ipod... prolly the most obvious but you need to have itunes 6.0 (6.01) or later... explain your problem a little more and i might be able to help man

and i dont kno alot about quicktime pro becuase i dont have 30 $ to upgrade

8. RTNDO128 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Betateam macrumors member

I don't understant what is wrong either....
    I have iTunes 6.1.3

In my "Videos" portions of iTunes it shows the video in question. It was an AVI that I used Videora to convert. I just left whatever default settings it had 320x240. It plays from start to finish. It is an mp4. It plays in iTunes and in Quicktime.

In order to even get it to appear in iTunes I have to drag it from WIndows Expolorer to "Purchased" then it appears in my Video Library. Then I can drag it to "My iPod" and it appears in the list of files that are on the iPod. iTunes shows it as used space on the status bar at the bottom. I go to Videos...and I don't see it.

I do not want to autosync because I have a crap load of MP3's and don't want them all on there. When I go to Edit--> Preferences --> Ipod --> Video. all the options are greyed out.

I'm sorry if I am overlooking the obvious, but I just don't get what I'm doing wrong.

I know there has to be a better way to get a video to it then what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You know you can autosync only selected playlists, right? That allows you to sync only parts of your library to the iPod.

This makes it easy for me to sync my 5G with my favorites, and still sync my wife's mini to the same library with her favorites.

The fact that the video options are greyed out doesn't sound promising, and I definitely do not have to drag .MP4 or .M4V files to Purchased to get them in iTunes or the iPod.

B

11. Labi macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be nice the Apple offers the iPod with the preinstaled invisible shield. They would probably instal it better then any of us. Or at least the company that sels the invisible shield, should also offer the profesioanl instalation for an extra fee. No more bubbles.

Edit:
    Oops I've posted in the wrong thread, sorry 'bout that.
    Anyway, I think that the best free windows dvd ripper is www.dvdshrink.org It's fast and free.