Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Besides those questions, I'd like to add another..

I ran through a rip of Avatar tonight. Worked great...except for sound. The audio was a bit screwy. The music and sound effects were great. However, the dialog was extremely low. In order to hear the dialog, I had to crank the volume. However, this made the music and sound effects CRAZY loud. Is there any way to fix this?

Here is a screen shot of the audio settings I used:

Note: This audio problem is using 2 channel audio. I would bet on my dad's 5.1 setup, the passthrough would work fine and thus have no audio quality issues. However, in my apartment, I can only run 2 channel audio for the time being and the low sound is a problem :(

Thanks!
Alter the DRC (dynamic range composition) to meet your needs.

PodPacker

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
Core Audio

Note: This audio problem is using 2 channel audio. I would bet on my dad's 5.1 setup, the passthrough would work fine and thus have no audio quality issues. However, in my apartment, I can only run 2 channel audio for the time being and the low sound is a problem :(

Thanks!

I use core audio. I always use my 5.1 system when watching movies, if I (by I, I mean my girlfriend) just use the TV speakers, I (this time it IS me) set the audio to the 2-channel audio on Apple TV.

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
Alter the DRC (dynamic range composition) to meet your needs.

Can you further explain? What is DRC? What's a safe starting increase?

PodPacker said:
I use core audio. I always use my 5.1 system when watching movies, if I (by I, I mean my girlfriend) just use the TV speakers, I (this time it IS me) set the audio to the 2-channel audio on Apple TV.

Likewise, what is Core Audio? So you're thought is if I alter my Apple TV settings to 2ch, it should auto-fix the low dialog?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Likewise, what is Core Audio? So you're thought is if I alter my Apple TV settings to 2ch, it should auto-fix the low dialog?

First off, I like PodPacker's option. Try it first. It's always better to fix things without transcoding if at all possible.

Secondly, as for DRC it is the setting that sets highest to lowest volume range. Suggested reading: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression. If you decide to go the DRC route, I would suggest you transcode a single chapter, which includes the dialog you are having trouble hearing, using various DRC levels. Listen to them and determine what you like best as what you hear is somewhat subjective and system dependent.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Following Dynaflash's recommendations, I tried a setting of "1", which uses compression cues in the original soundtrack, if I understand correctly. That was a big improvement and seemed to correct the out-of-balance voice and sound effects/music.

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
Thanks!

I have two more questions:

1. Should the Framerate be set to 29.97 or Same as Source?

2. When saving a preset, what do I do for Picture settings? I have been using Source Maximum. Also, do I check the box, "Add picture filters" ?

Thanks!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks!

I have two more questions:

1. Should the Framerate be set to 29.97 or Same as Source?

2. When saving a preset, what do I do for Picture settings? I have been using Source Maximum. Also, do I check the box, "Add picture filters" ?

Thanks!

1: Same as Source
2: Source Maximum and Add picture filters checked.:)

Do you check "Large File Size" and "Web Optimize" as well?

jnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NY
Thanks!

I always check large file size and have never checked Web Optimized. I would think Web Optimized lowers quality...?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks!

I always check large file size and have never checked Web Optimized. I would think Web Optimized lowers quality...?

No, Web Optimized enhances the ability to stream over wifi and has no impact on quality. It moves the moov atom from the end of the file to the beginning which allows the movie to start without loading the entire file. It also interleaves the video and audio streams which is a streaming enhancement. If you now or ever plan to stream large files over wifi, I would recommend using it. However, if you don't want to do it now but find a need to do it later, you can use Subler to just "optimize" the file without the need to re-encode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.