Ripping DVD's iTV question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Oct 8, 2006.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

In preperation for iTV I started ripping all my movies and tv show dvd's. The movies are simple as theyre one long track. But the tv shows are tricky because you have to separately rip each episode. But I have come across dvd's that dont do each show separately and instead make one long track for 5 or 6 episodes. I have no option but to rip the entire long track. So now Im stuck with one long track and would like to edit it and cut it up into 5 separate tracks.

Does anyone know a free, easy to use, app for mac that will let me do this?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What tool are you currently using?

Handbrake allows you to select chapters to put in files, and I would assume your TV Show DVDs at least have chapters if not titles.

B

3. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Im using DVD2Pod which is based on handbrake. And no, thats entirely the point, that some DVD's don't have chapters or titles, they just have one long 2 hour track. I tried it in Handbrake to see if handbrake would list it differently but it doesn't. The first two seasons of Strangers With Candy just have them listed as one long 1.5 hour track. So what app can I use to cut that up?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I dont....

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I can't even figure out where to download it from so I can't imagine figuring out how to use it. Can I use iMovie?

8. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so it turns out I do have QT pro and have spliced the one long track into the apprpriate 21 minute episodes. However, it only lets e export them as .MOV files which works and plays on my ipod. However, what it doesn't allow me to do is add art work for some reason, which for a nuerotic obssessive guy like me annoys the S**t out of me. (I want to add artwork of the DVD picture from amazon).

What do I do?

9. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

I've been currently using Handbrake, using the following settings:

Destination Codec: AVC/H.264 Video / AAC Audio
    Video Quality: Average Bitrate at 1450
    2-pass encoding checked
    Picture settings: constrain ratio... set width to 640
    Deinterlace picture checked (but optional)

Then, once the video is compressed, I like to go into it and manually input chapter tracks. Apple has a tutorial at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html. It's a long process, that's why I've only done a few... but it seems to work great!

The files are big but the quality is nice and it should be nice on the iTV. The goal now is this: encode all my DVD's in the same way all my music is now on iTunes. I have a large 250gb hard drive dedicated for my media now and it's filling up quick!

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm surprised QTPro doesn't export MP4... Are you using H.264?

As far as the individual episodes go... if they are not divided into chapters within the title on the DVD, then you're going to be out of luck, and there really isn't going to be any software that will automatically split them, simply because there's nothing to look for (unless it searches for a pause, the way my DVR does commercial advancing -- but that is hit or miss).

11. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Well splitting them isn't the problem, QT pro does that. The problem is that it only lets me (for some strange reason) export as .mov which doesn't allow for the alteration of artwork in iTunes.

12. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats exactly what Im doing. My problem is that my iMac HD is filling up real quick. Do you think I can use an external HD for iTV (will the data transfer be quick enough)? Also, now that I have all my stuff on my hard drive, can I just drag and drop it all on my external and then drop them all into iTunes or is there a quicker and cleaner way to migrate all this data and have iTunes follow it?