Ripping DVDs to your iPod is very easy

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Viking Quest, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Viking Quest macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    #1
    For those of us that are running OSX, i have the easy solution for you, a program called Handbrake.

    Instead of writing out the directions, i found this website that will guide you perfectly. Click here.

    One thing to note: If you have the new 30gb or 80gb iPods, remember to set your video resolution to 640x480 !

    It looks great and after you rip them you simply just drop them into your "movies" library in iTunes. You can rip TV shows or Movies! VERY EASY!
     
  2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

    BurtonCCC

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    #2
    Pretty much 95% of the people on this site are users of HandBrake, but thanks for informing the other 5%. :)

    Daniel.
     
  3. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #3
    Is there any way to "test" your files to make sure that they will play on a new iPod? I'd like to start encoding my videos in advance, before the new iPods are released here next week.
     
  4. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

    GreatDrok

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #4
    Pretty good picture quality too

    I just got an iPod 5.5G 80GB and have been using handbrake on my Mac mini G4 to encode a bunch of DVDs. I tried the h264 profile but it was going to take ages (I should probably use my MBP) so I went with the standard MP4 at a bitrate of 2000Kbs. Cropping the image so that an anamorphic film ends up as 640x276 works perfectly and the iPod fills in the blank space with black on both its screen and the TV. Sadly it can't display anamophically so I have to switch my widescreen TV into zoom mode which doesn't look as good as it could. Overally though, pretty watchable even on the built in screen. There is some blocking in large areas of colour but I am only using a single pass and my G4 only manages about 12fps when encoding :(

    I can definitely see myself buying a Mac Pro and a huge disc so I can encode all my movies in h264 and share them to an 'iTV' :D
     
  5. sunfast macrumors 68020

    sunfast

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Location:
    London
    #5
    Can I also recommend Lostify to make sure the tags of your newly ripped files are in order.
     
  6. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

    BurtonCCC

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    #6
    You may, but again, we all know about it. But thanks for sharing the amazing good use of those programs with those who might not know. It has been awhile since there's been a thread on them. :)

    Daniel.
     
  7. KevKaos macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2006
    Location:
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    #7
    In all fairness to the original posters, I am a lowly PC user and I am awaiting delivery of my refurb video 60GB today. I plan on switching to a Mac sometime in the near future, so I appreciate your input to this 5 percenter. :D :D :D
     

Share This Page