Ripping DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jenja, Sep 24, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2011
    Hi everyone!
    I have some questions. When I rip DVDs to my macbook air my fans run at 6500rpm and my CPU is at 95 degrees celsius! That's really hot. My CPU usage while ripping is at 94-98%.
    Is there anyway that I can set a limit on my CPU usage to like 80% so the ripping will get slower but my CPU will run a bit cooler?
    On basic use I never need more then maybe 10-20% of my CPU so it wouldn't hurt me if my Air couldn't perform to 100% if it runs a bit cooler at high CPU tasks.
  2. macrumors 604

Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Why are you concerned? Are you afraid your CPU will break if it runs that hot? Don't be. It can take it. :apple:
  3. macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2011
    ripping DVDs shouldn't be that cpu intensive. only conversion to other video formats does.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia.
    It would appear the OP is using a program like Handbrake (with VLC) to rip to H264.

An Elgato Turbo.264 would ease the load on your CPU.

Edit. You need to rip the DVD first to a TS File with the Turbo.
  5. macrumors 604

Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    So? My MacBook Pro has gotten up to 105 degrees C. Months later no problems have arisen.
  6. macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2009
    That is normal for ripping DVDs. It won't hurt anything.

It is in fact CPU intensive because it is breaking the encryption.

7. macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2011
    with the advancement in cpu processing, brute force searching the decryption key shd be a piece of cake . once the decryption key is found for the dvd, it simply applies the same key to the rest of the vob files.