Ripping for iTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iowamensan, Oct 27, 2006.

1. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2006
    I'm wanting to start ripping some of my DVDs for the iTV I plan to buy as soon as they are released. I have used Instant Handbrake already to rip some for my iPod. Will this resolution be decent enough for the TV? I don't have an HDTV, and as long as the picture is close to DVD quality I will be satisfied. I am more concerned about time of ripping and file size. If I should rip at a higher res, like 480 or so, what is the recommended program to do that? Thanks!
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I would suggest ripping at 640x480, following the new iPod specs. Much closer to DVD quality and you can bet that if the iPod supports it, so will the iTV.

The test versions of Handbrake supposeldy support the new Baseline LC H.264 profile or stick with MPEG-4.

3. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    I've been ripping my dvd collection for iPod (played through tv) and I've been ripping them with Handbrake (h.264, baseline, 1000k, picture resized to 640 x whatever hieght it turns out to be) and then passing them through iSquint to make them iPod compatible. The results are quite impressive on my 32" widescreen tv (normal tv). I tried Instant Handbrake, but wasn't that impressed with it.

If you have a lot of dvd's to rip, you might consider using Mac The Ripper to rip them to a hard drive. Then you can use the queueing feature in Handbrake to run them one after another. It means you can leave it running overnight and have a couple of movies done in the morning.