ripping from vinyl and voice synth

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blehpunk, Jul 14, 2005.

1. blehpunk macrumors regular

ok here are 2 different questions:

1) what programs do you reccommend to get audio input from vinyl (or essentially anything else)?

2) are there any programs that do voice synth?

Thanks!

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Finyl Vinyl by Griffin. Jam and Soundsoap would work well too.

Voice Synth? Eh, well, probably Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase or Melodyne.

edit: Spelling. Windows sucks.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

To capture from vinyl you'll have to put the turntable through a preamp, receiver or mixer that has RIAA preamps in it, in order to feed the Mac a line level signal. You can then go into your Mac's audio in, or through a third party interface like Griffin iMic, M-Audio, Edirol, Digidesign, Presonus, Mackie or other interfaces.

In terms of capturing that audio input there are any number of programs from Garageband to Amadeus, Audio Hijak, Bias Peak, or any of the digital audio sequencing programs.

ClickRepair 1.0 is shareware for removing vinyl noise

Voice synth as in simulation of human singing voices?
    Yamaha/Zero-G have Vocaloid (in three different vocies) it's not near perfect yet.and one other company has something, Can't remember the name. Cantor?

Celemony have Melodyne and Uno, whioch can tak an existing recorded voice and "play" it at any pitch.

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    It depends on what kind of computer you have.

Oh ya, I run my turntables through a simple scratch mixer(ecler hak 300)

but if you have turntables, you probably have a mixer too right? ;)

6. blehpunk thread starter macrumors regular

I have a 20" Imac G5 2.0 w/ 2gig ram and a record player with built in amp. I'm just trying to record some indie and punk albums, certainly no dj turntable setup. I dont think the cords can plug directly into the imac, so i have to buy a usb adapter or something.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yup, the Grififn iMic is your best solution for the money.

8. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

I have a iMic (bought specifically for bring vinyl into my ibook). However, I can't say that I'm a fan of Finalvinyl. I have been getting the best results going through my amp and then using Audacity for the actual capture. The recordings from FinalVinyl were rather lifeless and lacked the character that the vinyl had.

Before any audiophiles bite me for using the iMic instead of any of the countless superior (and much more expensive Analog to Digital boxes): I have no intention of replacing the vinyl with digital recordings.

Recording lineage for anyone who is interested: Dual CS-503-1 (with Ortofon OM-20) -> Cambridge Audio A500 (with phono module) -> iMic -> iBook 900 -> Audacity -> AIFF -> 256 K AAC