Ripping games

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NJPitcher, Nov 30, 2006.

1. NJPitcher macrumors regular

So I know mactheripper is for dvds, but it won't recognize game dvds. I want to rip the game onto my HD, and make a copy of the disc, but it's obviously protected. What program do I need to either decrypt the disc, or allow me to rip the entire dvd?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If it isn't something that Utilities->Disk Utility will do (via New Image), it's likely something that we can't officially condone discussion of here. It's technically piracy, even if you're just making a backup disk, and discussion of piracy how-to is prohibited by the site rules.

Note that I fully believe you're entitled to making backup disks of software you buy... but the government doesn't often agree with that.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's probably not protected. You're just not using the right program. I have never seen a Mac Game CD that couldn't be easily backed up using Apple Disk Utility.

4. NJPitcher thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I didn't know it was against site rules. But if it can be done with the disc tools on the mac, what exactly do I do?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

See here. Follow the edited version (i.e., the notes at the end). It should work similarly to that. Note that not all games will work this way.