Ripping H.264 Video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I'm about to rip my entire DVD collection to my iMac with HandBrake at H.264 encoding.

What settings should I use? Just the default H.264 or do I change constant quality, frame rate, resolution, ect?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want good quality? Small files? A bit of both?

3. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

File size is no issue as my next HDD will be 500GB. I want excellent quality, the best I can get so I only ever need to rip once.

4. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

the next question is, how much time do you have? even with an intel imac 2.0 w/2GB ram you will barely get 1x conversion at 1000kbps. so, if you want better quality and do a 2-pass, it will take you close to 4 hours (at best) per movie. my suggestion is to use the handbrake defaults for h.264 and do a one-pass. i watch these movies on my 20" screen at full-screen mode and it's pretty good.

5. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Time doesn't matter either, I will just leave a DVD overnight. I'm out for the best quality.