Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
At the moment I think you can't get 5.1 when you rip to MP4 in Handbrake because Quicktime is used to play that file and Quicktime doesn't yet support 5.1 surround sound.

You can't have a lossless soundtrack to a lossy encoding? That blows. Even if the sound were just converted from PCM to ALAC, it'd work fine...

And is there an easy way with DVDs like the Simpsons to encode all videos over a certain length? Perhaps I should go RTFM...

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I just tried ripping "click" with mactheripper and I got a read failure. yes, i followed the read me .pdf and followed the steps as instruced. what's wrong here?

Pretty sure Click is a Sony movie. Some of those newer ones have protection enabled. I know of people who have gotten around it using PC programs, but no clue what else you can use on Mac.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Sadly, here's how I do it

Unfortunately, this whole process of ripping is just getting too tough. It seems like the DVD companies are happy spending $10million to prevent you from backing up a $20 DVD. Heaven forbid, we wouldn't want Jack Nicholson to make $35million on a movie instead of $37million...

Lol ok im done.

If you can't get MTR to rip the DVD properly, there are a couple of options:

1. Get the MTR Beta; unfortunately it's buggy and it costs money to get into the beta program, but it cracks all the dvds that the free MTR can't (so far, at least).

IF YOU MUST HAVE H.264 QUALITY, HERES HOW I'D DO IT:

2a. Make a BootCamp partition of about 25gb or so, formatted NTFS, preferrably.
2b. Use DVDShrink to rip the disk, then save it as an ISO. Do this with about 4 or 5 movies (hence, the reason I chose to make the XP Partition so big. The bigger it is, the more you can do at once).
2c. Flip back into OS X. You should see the Boot Camp partition on the Desktop. Locate the .iso files and cut/paste them from Windows to OSX.
2d. Launch Handbrake, and use the proper settings (H.264, select the destination folder, etc). Queue up your 4-5 movies.
2e. Goto sleep
2f. Wake up, test your videos, and if they work, delete the .iso files since they're taking up useless space.

Is that an ok solution?!?!
Chad

p.s. czeluff@gmail.com is my email. feel free to send any questions/comments

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
It sounds much easier to just use Handbrake to convert each DVD into H.264 or MPEG-4 one by one.

Bootcamp, XP partitions, DVDshrink, iso images, Handbrake... That's too much.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I just tried ripping "click" with mactheripper and I got a read failure. yes, i followed the read me .pdf and followed the steps as instruced. what's wrong here?

Sony has recently introduced a new form of copy protection on their DVDs... I have a feeling you just ran into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.