Ripping MP3's with iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrVegas, Nov 19, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I'm new to Mac. Can I rip my CD's into MP3's with iTunes?

If so, can I rip them at a high quality setting, like 256?

Thanks

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yes.

Go under iTunes>Preferences>Advanced>Importing

and under "Import" choose "MP3 Encoder" You can then set the preferences for that in the menu below it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

GO to the iTunes preferences and in the Advanced section there's a tab called Importing. From there it's pretty easy to select different filetypes (MP3) and bitrates although 256kbps isn't a direct option there's a customise button that may help. :)

B b b b b beaten! :eek:

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just wanted to add... unless you plan on using a device that specifically needs MP3 files, though, AAC will provide a better quality of audio for a given bitrate than MP3 will -- that is, a 128k AAC will sound better than (but be of similar size to) a 128k MP3, and ditto for a higher bitrate on either.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, this was one of those posts where I knew if I didn't type as fast as possible, it would be too late!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well done. Advance to here. Pass go. Collect $200. :p

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

256Kbps is sort of like the bastard encoding bitrate nobody should be using. 160Kbps MP3 (128Kbps AAC) is fine for most music and you can fit a few of them into an iPod. Then you can go the other way and encode to 320Kbps for the highest possible MP3 quality short of going lossless.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That might be fine for you. I won't accept any files below 192kbit MP3, and I prefer LAME VBR MP3s ripped using alt-preset standard. For AAC, 192kbit CBR or VBR is preferred. For some CDs that are especially complex, I like higher bitrates than that. Everyone's ears are different. Don't assume that what's fine for you is fine for everyone.

9. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Cless:

How do you rip using LAME VPR in Mac? I used to use EAC/Lame in Windows, but I don't know how to use that technology in Mac.

10. slimflem macrumors regular

slimflem

exactly, 192 on mp3 is my minimum. in fact, I ripped all my 24-bit remastered jazz cd's at 224vbr and they sound amazing, both on the computer and in a regular cd player at home and in the car.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why do you say that?

Would disagree with you here. Minimum MP3 encoding for me is 192Kps.

Sushi

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

There's a LAME encoder for iTunes, here on VersionTracker. Haven't used it myself (I've switched over to 192kbit AAC VBR for my own rips).

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:eek: :eek:

Well, in my defense it offered about 6gbs saving over 320AAC for the entire library which enabled me at the time to squeeze the whole lot onto my iPod. Nice sound, but a fruitless endeavour as further CD purchases made that concept a moot point.

14. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

For those of you encoding with ACC- are there any noticeable differences when going from 128 kbp to a higher bit rate? I rip CDs with the default importing settings (128 ACC) and until recently, I've been wondering if it was worth reripping my entire collection at a higher rate. I'm in a squeeze for HD space but would be willing to make the sacrifice if there is a substantial improvement to sound quality. ;)