ripping programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AudiGuy, Jul 21, 2005.

1. AudiGuy macrumors regular

is there another programs that rip CDs besides itunes?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You can find a bunch on Version Tracker. But I'm more interested in what's wrong with iTunes. I don't think you'll find anything better.

3. AudiGuy thread starter macrumors regular

i dont like how itunes seperate the songs to different folders. for example: if i ripped snoop doggs CD all the songs would go to a different folder.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

That's why you use the iTunes browser to look at the songs. If you want all the songs in one place, just put them in a playlist.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You sound like a PC user who's paranoid about letting an OS and other programs organize your files cause you feel like you're not in control. Let iTunes do its job. You can drag souns out of iTunes and copy then to another location if you ever need to move them.

Using OS X is way different from Windows. It doesn't screw everything up.

6. AudiGuy thread starter macrumors regular

^^youre right. why coulnt it just throw the songs in one folder? well whatever...

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think the reason is to avoid having filenames as long as my arm. I've seen the Libraries people have on their PCs. File names usually look like..

Milli Vanilli - Blame it on the Rain - Whatever Sorry Album Name.mp3

This way it can handle duplicate files and music files with unknown information better. May have something to do with the iPod too?

But the thing is you never even have to look at any of that folder structure. Just the iTunes interface... it doesn't get any easier than that.

8. cwright macrumors 6502a

If you tell iTunes to 'Keep the Music Folder Organized' (under the advanced tab of the preferences) you can update the ID3 tags as you import the CDs so that they stay in one folder.

For example, if you have that option on, and you import snoop dog's album that has lot's of different artist names such as 'snoop dogg feat. xxx', etc... just select the whole album, re-name it to 'snoop dog' and iTunes will put all of those songs into the same folder.

Hope that makes sense...