Ripping Tracks - can we still do it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sparky76, Aug 21, 2003.

1. sparky76 macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2003
    I recently purchased (in the UK) a CD by Kings of Leon from an online retailer. However, when I received it, the disc was copy-protected, so it would play in a CD player or on a PC (after installing its own proprietary player), but not on the Mac, so I could not put it on the ipod. I rang the supplier and said I was rejecting the goods as they were not a true "red book" CD and was refunded.
    But I still want the album.
    Does the US version have copy-protection?
    If so, do you know where I can download it? I am happy to pay for my music, but not if I am to be treated like a criminal for wanting to put it on the ipod.
  2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    Re: Ripping Tracks - can we still do it?

There are several on the iTunes Music Store, but it doesn't work in the UK, so that's no good for you... Any other ideas anybody?
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Re: Ripping Tracks - can we still do it?

If it's from an online retailer it might not be a UK disc...

You could be sneaky.... I went into HMV once to see if I could get away with it, I took my PowerBook in and asked if I could try a CD because I wasn't sure if it had copy-protection that would stop it working on my Mac, and as my PowerBook was my major music playing device then I didn't want to travel home to find out it doesn't work and then require me to travel back in to return it!

Anyway's, they hand me the CD I slot it in, (and lets face it, most saturday staff don't really know their arse from their elbow) so I just started importing it whilst playing, right in front of them... :eek: :eek: :p

I then said it wasn't the actual album I wanted, handed them back their CD and left...

Bad, Bad, Bad iGav... *slap's wrists several times* I've never done it again though... :D
  4. sparky76 thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 2, 2003
    sorry - the UK version was what I got - I went into HMV today and saw that the copy they were selling had the same copy-protection. Any ideas?
  5. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    doesn't the magic marker line trick work on some of these CD things??

I've never bought a CD with protection on so I don't really know...

You would have thought that some clever techie would've come up with a first rate hack for this wouldn't you?

I haven't the foggiest then bud... soz. :(
  6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    Re: Re: Ripping Tracks - can we still do it?

Dude! That's a special kind of chutzpah you've got. That's not your garden-variety brass set. Reminds me of a Futurama episode:

Clamps: Are you trying to rip off the DonBot?
    Bender: I'm trying, but he's not making it easy.
  7. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

May 17, 2003
    Boston MA
    This is also what I'd like to know. I'm interested in getting Shiina Ringo's "Karuki Zamen Kuri No Hana", but it's copy-protected :(