Ripple effect affecting the effective buying....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by apple4life, Jul 28, 2005.

1. apple4life macrumors member

My girlfriend flew to Honolulu today (we live on the big island) for a conference tomorrow and friday and it didn't take her long to get to the ala moana shopping center, the location of the only apple store.... so far from any continental land mass.... and she spoke with an employee that said.....
    yes, the ripple effect is supported....

yes, we have ripple effect.... I repeat yes we have ripple effect....

:D :D

Buy them iBooks!

Get them while they're still hot and have that crisp fresh electrical hardware smell.... ummmmm. TASTY!!!!

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Ripped effect?? :p ;) I will update to Tiger and won't cry because I won't see the ripple effect ...

but wait, it looks cool for bragging with Peeceers ... :D

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Thing is, although its trivial in itself, the ripple effect means so much. It means you own a machine which fully supports all the features Tiger wants it to. Although it doesn't matter in the running of the machine in terms of applications you can run, the ripple effect does generally mean you have a faster machine - as some work is offloaded onto the GPU by CoreImage.

It's not necessary but no one likes forking out a grand for something which isn't even up-to-date with the current technologies. The new iBooks are all CoreImage compatible

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Most annoying feature....EVER!!

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Doesn't even look that impressive in my opinion. I don't get the impression of a smooth transition, it's more like a plop the widget in, then start to distort the screen.

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I haven't even really seen it yet...but as was said earlier, its not so much that you need the effect, but that if you can use it that means that your system is fully Tiger compliant. To me thats important. I won't install Tiger on my rev a PB for that reason. Well, that and I'll be getting a new mac soon anyway and that will have tiger on it.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Also: We know the ripple effect is supported. The 9550 was added to Apples Core Image page yesterday.

But thanks for another confirmation... ;)

8. mpw Guest

You lucky, lucky ****er.

9. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I'm so glad they have the ripple effect!! The ripple is really cool and all and it's a really nice touch, but it's not about the ripple. It's about the fact that when you see the ripple, you know that your machine supports CoreImage, and that's important to me.

10. TheSisko macrumors regular

The 9550 is barely faster than the 9200, I doubt many Core Image effects will get done on the GPU. Apple probably switched because ATI is phasing in 9550 as their new bottom-end GPU.

Just because a card does PS2.0 doesn't mean it's faster/better, compare for example, the FX5200 vs. the GeForce4 Ti cards, which are WAY superior.

For anyone interested in seriously using Core Image, 9550 is NOT enough. The major improvements over the 9200 is the ripple effect and for some OpenGL games that require a fragment programmable GPU for their shader effects (like WoW), though they will still run almost as slow.

11. Lazyhound macrumors regular

The desktop version of the 9550 runs 2-3 times faster than the 5200, but I get the impression they down-clocked the mobile version quite a bit. Also, that 32MB kind of kneecaps it.

12. brepublican macrumors 6502a

brepublican

Now thats what I'm talkin about!

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, I've been participating in the discussion over the iBook and the Ripple effect, and I'm still running Panther, and will be for awhile.

The 9550 might not be clocked much faster than the 9200, but it has a newer core. That counts for a lot. That, plus ATI's better drivers and the ATI Displays overrides, means it should be superior to the Go5200.

14. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think the fast user switching effect is way more brag-capable than the ripple effect. :confused:

15. TheSisko macrumors regular

16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

17. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

"effect" was used way to many times in the title of this thread

:)

18. Hattig macrumors 65816

19. TheSisko macrumors regular

The information is from Apple. They quote the fillrate of the 9550 as 800MP/s, while the fillrate of the Mobility 9600 (at 300MHz) is 1400MP/s. Since fillrate is directly proportional to core clock speed this makes the clock of the 9550 : 800/1400 * 300MHz = 172MHz.

You are correct about the clock speed of the standard 9550 being 250MHz. Ironically this was also the case with the standard 9200, that is also clocked at 250MHz, and also supposed to sport a faster clock on Mobility versions.

However, Apple clocked the Mobility 9200 to 183MHz.

I doubt it, since the 9200 should have similar headroom, but barely overclocks anything. I suspect Apple is running their chips at much lower voltage, thus negating any overclockability.

About the memory, I suspect they simply sticked with whatever they had before, since the interface is still 64-bit, and they core clock is about the same.

20. TheSisko macrumors regular

21. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Having just switched from a Rev A 12" PB (no ripple) to a Rev D 15" PB (ripple capable), I don't understand why the ripple is significant.
    1) Not all that cool - it was definitely cool the first time I saw Steve Jobs demo it, but it's not as cool as the cube transition in my opinion.
    2) So what if it means the system is totally Tiger capable. It doesn't mean that the system will be able to handle everything in 10.5, and my previous PB seemed to handle everything else significant in Tiger just fine.
    What am I missing?

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hum, I thought it was a 128 bit bus; that's too bad.

As far as the downclock, why? The only reason I could think of was thermal concerns. It must exceed their acceptable temp limits when running at "normal" speed. Well, that won't stop people from overclocking it I'm sure.

23. TheSisko macrumors regular

Thermal issues and batterylife no doubt. And it makes sense, since the iBook isn't geared towards gamers, and in normal use, the clock difference means nothing. 64MB, however, would have been nice, specially to avoid Exposé going über-choppy when more than a handful of windows are open.

As overclocking potential goes, will probably be the same as the 9200's, typically around 10%-30%. Why so poor? Because just lowering the clock doesn't decrease the power consumption and thermal generation much, so it's probably accompanied by a heft voltage decrease (why give it more than it needs to maintain the lowered clock?).

Now if only someone came up with a way to voltmod the iBooks... :D

24. TheSisko macrumors regular

Well, it seems as the benchmarks have confirmed that the 9550 only offers modest performance increases.

EDIT: Will be interesting to see if most Core Image effects will be done on the CPU, should be the case, since the PB's FX5200 offers better performance (thanks to the 128-bit bus).