Ripple problem when changing the speed of a clip!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hardhatmac, Jun 13, 2006.

1. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

In FCP 5 when ever I change the speed of a clip it will shift my entire timeline down, throwing off all my timing---kind of like a ripple tool. Is there any way to shut this off or get around it---It drives me crazy---Help me out if you can...

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I have found this same problem and have not yet found a solution.

I would really love to find out if there is a way to prevent this.

3. Lebowski macrumors 6502

have you tried putting the clip you want to change onto a new video track? i suspect your clip is in one video track in between other clips with no gap in between? thus your timeline is adjusting to the new speed of the clip, closing in any gaps.

just drag the clip up one timeline to a new track, then change the speed, and then drag back to original video track.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Unfortunately, this happens whether or not there is a gap, and no matter how big. The speed change (as far as I can tell) ALWAYS will ripple the entire timeline. I've always hoped there would be a fix, but have never come across one.

5. Joe K macrumors newbie

What I do to prevent this is I take the clip to the end of the timeline then change the speed and after that I put it in place.

It's a long process but you don't loose your timing.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That's what I have been doing, but it's a pain.

I really wish there was a way around it.

7. howinson macrumors member

In out on timeline
    Select track in out and drop it in as Fit to fill OR

Do time remapping and blade away the unwanted.

8. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I'll have to try that.....I'm kinda bummed that no one has a real easy way of fixing this.

I'm new to FCP and the reason i bought it was because everyone says it's the best.....This one little problem is more annoying then anyother video editing program I've ever used...

thanks guys!!

9. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I just got off the phone with Apple tech support and they said there's no way to change this ripple affect when changing a clips speed....but he didn't seem like he knew very much...that's gay...

I'll still try howinson's idea...

10. howinson macrumors member

I might not be too clear in my instructions,
    PM me if you need further assistant.

11. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i worked on a project last night that needed some edits moved around, and changed a few clip speeds as well, and got the ripple effect. very annoying, i cant believe i never noticed it, but i have has some weird timing issues that i now realize are a result of this ripple.

i ended up moving the clip to the end of the timeline as well, changed the speed, then moved back to the sequence.

hopefully a fix in an update soon....

12. hardhatmac thread starter macrumors regular

hardhatmac

Don't worry about it...I figured it out...

I also started using a different way: If you lock all the video/audio tracks that you don't want to move and then move the clip you want to change the speed of to a new video track, change the speed, then move it back....some of you have already said this. But you have to lock the tracks you don't want to move, even if they are on different tracks with spaces in between it will still move anything that's not locked...

it's weird so many people hate this feature and there's no way to fix it....