Rise of Nations Announced for Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Maclarny, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Announcement

Honestly, however, I don't know how many will care. This game is fairly old now and although it is a good game it's really late in coming to the Mac platform. Thoughts?

2. benpatient macrumors 68000

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Better late than never, but I am not a rabid gamer so I don't really care when it came out or how old it is. Come to think of it, most of the games I play are actually quite old, but they re still fun.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I remember this game.. when it was called Age of Empires (with new skins). Much like SWBG. Just like I remember Halo when it was called Halflife.

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

This game looks cool. Why haven't i heard about it from my PC friends? :confused:

6. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

why do mac game companies think that porting 1 or 2 year old games is cool??? its complete b.s....seriously...why dont they port games that are NEW??? and that are worth playing???? like they ported Shrek and TRON....who plays these kinds of games??? NO ONE!!!! so stop with the really bad games....and either release good games that pc gamers have... :mad:

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe because a license from the original developer might be too expensive when the game first comes out, and with a limited crowd to develop for and sell to, it's a huge risk of loosing money. At least porting old games they can tell which the big sellers are..

8. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

This discourse is precisley the reason why I built a PC. However, I still prefer to play games on my Mac. I only have the PC for playing the latest and greatest (at max settings I might add).

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

well i for one can't wait to play this game. i've been looking at it on the pc side for quite a while now and i am very pleased to hear it's coming over. obviously it would be better to get it sooner, but since it'll be out soon i'm not going to complain too loudly. i really don't game much anymore anyways, but i *am* slowly convincing all my friends to go mac. :D more opportunities shall present themselves soon.

10. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

good comeback...still we shouldnt have to wait 1 or 2 years for a game...thats really terrible...

11. bnemesis macrumors regular

Back when I was into the BeOS scene, there was a gaming company called Wildcard Games that ported Eric's ultimate solitair, and Civilization: Call to power. They were working on worms armageddon, Shogo: MAD, and a few others.

I think they went under because of licensing fees.
    Apparantly, if you want to port a game, you need to pay a huge amount of fat cash up front. Then royaltys on the copys you sell. If Im not right, varying degrees of technical assistance during porting costs $$$ too. :(

Dont forget figuring packaging, and distribution costs too.

Makes porting a top shelf game to the mac an expensive gamble, considering the major players in mac gaming are relatively small companies.

12. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

all i have to say is
    "ouch"

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I totally agree, but unless there's more equality in the WinTelThon vs Apple marketshare, we Macphiles are screwed.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They were a fun group. I lament their downfall, as well as that of the whole BeOS. Note my avatar (which, as of this post, is the dual-133MHz 603 BeBox, which still runs just fine here in my house).

15. cubist macrumors 68020

RoN is a GREAT game! It's about a year old, the expansion pack has just come out on PC, but it doesn't add that much.

The game is much like SWGB/AoE2 but has added a lot of new features that make it much more interesting. Most importantly, national borders - a Civ feature which is new to RTS games. Also, a more sophisticated economic model reminiscent of Civ-type games. Having features like these which we've only had in turn-based games before makes the game much richer. If you're a Civ fan or a Warcraft/Starcraft fan you should definitely at least try the demo (when it comes out). Civ3 fans will still miss some of their favorite features (e.g. railroads), but turn-based games just take too long to play.

That being said... there was a leak regarding this game around MWSF time. The MacSoft site still says nothing about it.

16. bnemesis macrumors regular

Nice! I still have the dual processor box i built just for beos. I miss it sometime, when using XP. But the silver lining to that gloomy cloud is that my love for BeOS led me to buy the Mac that Im using now. :D

17. applekid macrumors 68020

The project known as Russell (RoN) on Westlake's site was there for about a year now. From what I'm hearing it is probably because of the movement of Brad Oliver from Westlake to Aspyr that slowed down the whole porting process of this game. Now that everything is in order, porting can move forward.

18. AkiraK macrumors member

Rise of Nations is a good game, even a great one. While Age of Mythology is essentially a modded Age of Empires, Rise of Nations has some significant changes to gameplay that make for a far more interesting experience overall.

And if you're referring to the recent Tron 2.0 release, it's a great game as well, with jaw-dropping visuals and very satisfying gameplay...an enjoyable departure from the WWII FPS rut games seem to just be getting out of.

To the many good reasons that have been given here for the seeming delays in porting, I would add development time. Companies often don't get their first look at the code until the game is released, and even then sometimes later. Making the code not only workable but optimized for the Mac takes a significant amount of time and resources, not just money, and the backlash from the Mac community when code is poorly optimized is brutal. I, for one, would rather they take as long as they need to ensure the code runs well on a variety of machines than that they rush a piss-poor port out the door simply to be "current."

19. cubist macrumors 68020

The latest MacWorld magazine came yesterday, with a full-page ad for Rise of Nations. No info as to price or availability... I wonder if it will include Thrones & Patriots (what DrunkenBlog calls an "edition release").