rise of nations gold vram limit :mad:

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mord, May 13, 2005.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i just bought rise of nations gold and because my ibook only has 16MB vram it wont run it has some stupid notice telling me i dont have enough and then promptly quits :mad: they should at least let you run the game on sub spec macs, mohaa has the exact same requirements but it runs fine on my ibook.

such a stupid move just pisses me off so much when i know i can run it.

dose anyone know if you can get around this? like with halo you hold the p button to get around the check.

2. alien_ware macrumors newbie

well on some games it tells you to increase the virtual memory.you can do this by left clicking on the rise of nations program or apple click then go to get info and click on the momory then increase it by about 10,000k then if it still doesnt work just keep increasing it

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

this is a vram limit so physical ram will not effect it, i had a poke around in the package contented but could not find anything, the only thing i can think of now is makeing the game think i have 32MB vram.

i cant play it on my g4 cube either even though it has a radeon 9700 pro it has a 550MHz cpu :(

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Hello...this is the 21st century. We're running OS X now. :) OS 9 tricks like the above aren't necessary at all, and moreover aren't even possible. There is no more hacking around with "virtual memory," thank goodness.

As for Rise of Nations, dunno, maybe it just really really needs to store a lot of bitmaps in VRAM, so you need a certain minimum.

--Eric

5. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

no, games dont work like that, if textures dont fit into the vram it just caches to the ram, thats how you can run doom 3 at ultra mode on a 256MB card when it has over 500MB of textures flying about at a time.