Rise of Nations... Questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by neonart, Sep 5, 2005.

1. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Hello everyone.

Im looking for a good strategy/battle type game to keep me entertained for some time. I looked through some of the most popular games of this kind (Civilization, Warcraft, Age of Empires, etc.) and according to reviews this seemed to be one of the best ones.

Questions that I'd love to get your input on:

Is RoN extremely hard to learn, or can you easily roll into it?

Can one play in only one era, or must time pass? (I like the old stuff)

Will you lose track if you don't play 18 hours a day, or is it ok for occasional gaming(3-4 times a week)?

Is it gory in any way?

Your input on any of these ?'s would be awesome. OR... if you have any other suggestions on other games, please do so.

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have this game on my mac and i can say that it is my favorite strategy game. I have not payed it in a long time but i do like it the most. I am not sure about the passing time thing but from what i have played int he game you have to pass time and "evolve" up to the next level. And there is nothing really gory in it.

It was not hard to learn either, and that is coming from a person that generally has a hard time picking up controls for a game. :)

Hope that help

3. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

RoN was my favourite game on my old PC, defineatly gonna buy it for my mac at some stage, a truely great stategy game

Will you lose track if you don't play 18 hours a day, or is it ok for occasional gaming(3-4 times a week)?[/I}

It takes 20 mins to pick up, and you can not play for a month and still come back to it without any trouble. you can also set a time limit on games, but personally I always found I had one or lost within 1.5 hours anyway

You can select the options you want to play with at the start of the game, so yes you can limit to just one era if you want,if you don't it never forces you to upgrade any units to newer models, (although newer models are always better , and if you are too far behind the computer you will find it quite hard to win :) )

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I was familiar with AOE2 so I picked this up within 5 minutes. The concepts behind it are very good and you can save the game at any time.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

You can play a good game in an hour or two, unlike Civ games which take 16+ hours.

6. neonart thread starter macrumors 65816

neonart

Was Age of Empires better in any way?

7. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I found it very easy, maybe half an hour to learn the basics, one hours to domain the arcade mode, and two to learn campaign mode.

You have like 8 eras or so, you start in the oldest on where your citizens look like native indians, and you end in the information age where you can drop atomic bombs. But you can setup the game so you only play the first 4 eras or whatever you want.

Will you lose track if you don't play 18 hours a day, or is it ok for occasional gaming(3-4 times a week)?

Not really, by the way, don't play 18 hours straight or it might get really boring. I used to play it on my brother's PC months ago, and now I have it on my Mac. It took me a few minutes to pick it up again after not playing for months.

Is it gory in any way?

Not at all, it will be safe for your kids ;)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I find RoN to be a fun game. Easy to pick up. No gore.
    Recommend (although I also love Civilization).