Rising Mac Sales and Subnotebook Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 21, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TheStreet claims that they have heard that Apple is expected to sell 2.35 million iMacs and MacBooks this quarter, beating out analyst estimates by 400,000 units.

Meanwhile, they also claim to have heard more about Apple's "subnotebook Mac" which is described as "ultra-thin" with a 10-12inch screen, sleek rounded edges and less than 2 pounds.

They expect the new subnotebook next quarter in time for the holiday sales season, and even claim a memo has been circulated to tell some employees to cancel vacation plans between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

TheStreet has not been a particularly accurate source of Apple rumors, so this should be taken with a grain of salt. However, it is somewhat consistent with recent rumors of a thin MacBook. TheStreet was previously responsible for the Drop in Production of iPhones rumor which was credited to Miller Tabak & Co. analysts, but was based on a misunderstanding ("We don't have an Apple analyst, we don't even have a tech analyst")

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

Bring It!! I'll take two!

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Dear Apple

Once again I have $2K monies for you. Update the Mac Pro or MacBook if you want my monies.

~Eidorian

4. macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I bet they would sell a ton of them....if they're priced correctly. Truism I know.

Having seen some tiny notebooks, they're just too small for me--I like something with a bit of heft, so for me the 15" PB is perfect, as is the current MB or the older 12" iBook. A 10" screen just seems like it would be too darn small!

Also, will the Mac Pro EVER be updated again? I know, lots of threads on that exact question...

5. macrumors newbie

Um......

to me a 10'' is not practical for a notebook...I think at best they will go back to the 12'' or maybe keep the 13''..and as far is HD space goes...i'm guessing right around 64ish...not anything more..cuz flash mem is ridiculous right now gahd well much love to apple i've been holding off on buying a Mac laptop till leopard came out..and when it does so will these new Macs!!

:apple::apple::apple:
    I Love Apple..lol

6. macrumors 68000

Guess I am buying something thin and notebook like before Christmas!

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hopefully it won't be spiral bound! :eek: ;) :D

We'll see. I'm very up for it....

8. macrumors 6502

Great....I was planning on buying a MacBook Pro in the next few weeks...

Should I wait now?

9. macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

These numbers are very high, even if you include Mac mini, Mac Pro and MacBook Pro sales.

I bet The Street has no idea that there are more than two Mac models on the market. :rolleyes:

10. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you want a subnotebook? If what is coming is anything like what they're describing, keep in mind that this will be a very different beast than a current MBP -- it will be a lot smaller, it will be a lot lighter, it will probably have a lot less hard drive space as well as less processing power.

11. macrumors regular

chances...

what are the chances you think, that apple might use 1.8" or whatever hard drives like in iPods when/if they to come out with an ultraportable?

As much as i'd like to see all flash, they could have an 80 gb or even 160gb hard drive a much lower costs than what flash would be. And it wouldn't be too huge of a burden on battery life, at least i dont think.

12. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Great numbers but I totally distrust TheStreet. They seem to play games sometimes (to put it politely).

13. macrumors regular

studiomusic

The $treet plays with stocks in my opinion.
    They probably sold all their interests in AAPL just before that bit of 'misunderstanding' about the cut in iphone production (that has since turned out to be the opposite), then they bought back shares after the drop. Now they want to sell again, so they are saying very good things.
    Expect them to predict low ipod/mac/iphone sales for the end of the year holiday buying season so that they can send the stock lower to be able to buy before MWSF...
    (Yes, Cramer can move stock prices, thanks to the nimwits who buy or sell everything he says!)
    My $.02 worth.

14. macrumors 68020

Yes, you should wait, but why stop there? I'd recommend waiting until 2028 when rumour has it Apple plans to release their completely holographic laptop.

15. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There aren't any laptop details that couldn't have easily been made up. In fact, I may do this and see how far it goes. ;)

"A 10--12 inch screen"? Wow, great guess.

16. macrumors member

myusername

Vacation ? It's Retail

Nothing against theories, guesses, speculation or employee memos. Guys, it's the Holiday season, regardless of the company, Apple included, most retail stores do not allow vacation time between the traditional Black Friday, (Thanksgiving) and the start of the New Year. Where are all the no time off memos for the new nanos, iPod classic, iPod touch or the new iMac. Is a new ultra portable going to cause so much traffic they need every sales person on the floor ?

17. macrumors 6502a

Wireless Keyboard

I've been using the new wireless keyboard for a few days. I could totally see a sub-notebook that utilizes its design and form factor. It is about the perfect size for a 12.1" wide-screen, and I think they can do better then 2lbs. My Dell D420 is about that, and it's design is pretty clunky.

18. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

I expect this new notebook to be 100% flash-based and small. Possibly using the multitouch screen technology. This would cut the thickness of the device.

"You can finally touch your iLife and iWork."

19. Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's bizarre (well not that bizarre), but I've always preferred smaller notebooks (12" PB, 12" iB, and now MB) and constantly said, if Apple released a subnotebook, a truly compact notebook, I'd gobble it up in a flash. Even if there was no optical drive.

And I meant it...

... but I'm starting to find that less and less of a primary want especially in light of the capabilities of the iPhone and iPod touch.

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I luvs me some subnotebook. If Apple plays their cards right, we might be buying three new Macs this year (one down, two to go!).

21. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I agree. For what I do on it, my MB is way overpowered. I would gladly trade in processing power and drive space for weight.

Snap!

22. macrumors 604

CalBoy

Did you ever use your PB and iBook at college? That's where this rumored subnotebook would be a dream. 2 lbs and only 10 or 11" (even 12 would be fine), I could take that sucker to the end of the world and back; not that I'm getting my hopes up; rumors have been getting our hopes up and then destroying them every two months or so. I can dream can't I (as my hopes go up)?

23. macrumors member

scruch

asdasd , i too! , i have here €2K for you! please.

24. macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

Hmmm....I wonder too if this could also be a replacement for the mini. yes I know that it has a screen and doesn't quite do the same thing. But, I would love something like this to attach to my TV, and be permanently docked there. Then I could pull it out when I wanted an extra computer to port around as well. Currently the macbooks are a little too big to do this for me now...

25. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes. I did. And yes, I would have drastically hoped for a subnotebook-- if, like I posted, it weren't for the advent of the iPhone/touch which make it almost a moot point for me. :p