Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
you are DREAMING!

My specs:

taken from the new iPod nano: 2 inch display has 320 x 240 pixels resolution.
So 12'' would be 1920 x 1440 pixels resolution. That is just fine for me.
Put in the 160 GB HD from iPod classic.
WiFi and Bluetooth.
Take the touch screen form the iPhone, but three times bigger as a replacement for the whole keyboard. That would be the context sensitive input device.
Put in DVD (HD or Blue Ray).
Charge a fortune (3000 US$ or Euros).

Sell it like hot cakes.

Sky rocket AAPL.

My guess for all here: Buy one of these sub-notebooks and 500 AAPL and you will be in heaven either way.

Confidemus

HA.... would love to see that pixel density manufactured on that size display! unfortunately not going to happen. 1.8" drives suck hard -- much rather see 64GB flash. Blue laser optical disc would take up to much space, too expensive, no use in a subnotebook. All-touchpad keyboard impractical and hard to use. (why replace what works? just enhance the touchpad?)

Here's what I would like to see and which is *realistic* based upon what's available in Japan/Korea right now.

* Core Duo LV or ULV 1.06-1.8ghz
* 1-1.5GB RAM
* 32 or 64GB flash
* 802.11BGN/Bluetooth V2.0/optional 3G WAN
* 8.9" 1024x600 / 10.4" 1024x768 / 11.1" 1366x768 / 12.1" 1366x768
* LED backlighting
* Carbon composite case (unlikely)
* 1.28 => 2.26lbs
* "REAL WORLD" 7-10 hours battery life. (Yes, this IS possible.)

To show Im not full of ****, go checkout what this Asia-importer offers:

http://www.dynamism.com/Notebooks/Subnotebooks/categorygroup.shtml

I would love to see something like a Panasonic R5/T5

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
winterspan+1

And I think that will be the true MacBook SubNotebook.

The thing is that multiple sources are saying smaller MacBooks too so those will have HDs DVDs etc..

So what I gather is that we may have thin MacBooks AND a new subnotebook.

Either way. I looking forward to pick one up to have for my occasional mobile needs.

thetacoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
Connecticut
Black aluminum is definitely the future I see for the Pro line--and maybe the consumer line as well. A choice of real colors would be even cooler! Orange or red MacBook Pro Nano please!
I still miss the white plastic ipods... But an orange mbp mini? Or a black aluminum Mac Pro? That would be SICK!!!:cool:

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Yep

Energy. The subnotebook's battery can't be too large or heavy, so in order to give it decent battery life, a lot of good stuff is going to have to be used. I'm talking LED backlighting, Flash, and probably a lower clock CPU (maybe an SR 1.8?).

Agreed, except for "lower clock cpu" won't be an SR 1.8 in all likelihood, it will be a 1.2-1.8 LV (NOT ULV). 17 watt TDP, ALL have 4 megs of cache, and 800mhz bus. So performance will not suffer terribly like using a ULV.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Why is it, I predict the new MacBook will have a *stunning, unique two tone black and aluminum finish with black keyboard, black trackpad, and black screen bezel.

Perfect, if it follows the iMac design language, it'll look EXACTLY like an HP laptop.

Am I the only one who's scared?

Scared? is it really that big of deal? have you EVER seen a bad looking Apple product? seriously ever? ( < 10 years old?)

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I have the perfect thing for you

A little known issue that iPod users don't have, but which the user of a laptop will - performance. Smaller platter and spin speed = slower data transfer speed = bad performance

Flash memory is the way to go. If they made a 128MB flash drive I could fit in my MacBook for £300 or less - i'd buy it. Not there yet (bigger drives are too thick to fit - the best I can find is 32MB), but give it another year...

I know its hard to believe, But I'll sell you one that is DOUBLE THAT SIZE for your £300!!! Lol. I think you mean "128GB". :)

seanneko

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
Scared? is it really that big of deal? have you EVER seen a bad looking Apple product? seriously ever? ( < 10 years old?)

Well, for starters there's this ;)

200px-Clamshell_iBook_G3.jpg

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Agreed, except for "lower clock cpu" won't be an SR 1.8 in all likelihood, it will be a 1.2-1.8 LV (NOT ULV). 17 watt TDP, ALL have 4 megs of cache, and 800mhz bus. So performance will not suffer terribly like using a ULV.

Ok, you've made a good case. I've amended my opinion.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
The definition of "Self-Centrism"

A too-small latop really does start of become a gimmick. ... what are most people going to do with a titchy laptop that's fiddly to use?

This is another CLASSIC example of the "self-centrism" that I constantly see on MacRumors. Why does every one of these 'tards speak like they represent the whole of the end-user market of Apple products. Who the *** are you to say that a subnotebook is a gimmick? Have you even been to ASIA??

You just said you were on a desktop computer until recently, thus pointing out your limited experience with notebook computers, especially traveling with them. For people like me who have owned and used laptop computers on the go for YEARS, it is very welcoming to have a smaller device. Have you carried around a 4.0-5.0lb laptop for hours out of a day for many days? ok then..
And assuming "titchy" was meant to be "twitchy" along with "fiddly" WTF? -- how does that apply to a subnotebook??

I was using the iPod touch at an Apple Store today and I really thought: 'Who the heck's really going to want to surf the web on this REALLY. Yes, they may do it a couple of times and feel cool but then wish
they'd bought the iPod Classic for more capacity'.

Actually I and Im SURE many others ABSOLUTELY LOVE to use the web on the Touch/iPhone. Have you even used a regular smartphone before? The Touch/iPhone is 100X better than ANYTHING I've ever tried and Ive owned six different devices over the years including Ipaqs, Treos, Blackberries, WinMo PocketPCs, etc.
No I do NOT wish I bought an Ipod classic as it doesn't even COME CLOSE to what the iPod Touch/iPhone can do. Its basically a large 1.8" HDD with a screen. I do not feel "Cool" using it either. I feel "smart" for purchasing an excellent device that does nearly everything I need it to do and goes beyond anything I've used in a long time.

Just because you don't have a serious need for and don't understand the appeal of a sub-notebook and/or a great mobile-internet device to people who travel frequently, college students, etc, DOES NOT mean that that applys to EVERYONE. Isn't that like 3rd grade logic?

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I bet they would sell a ton of them....if they're priced correctly. Truism I know.

Having seen some tiny notebooks, they're just too small for me--I like something with a bit of heft, so for me the 15" PB is perfect, as is the current MB or the older 12" iBook. A 10" screen just seems like it would be too darn small!

Also, will the Mac Pro EVER be updated again? I know, lots of threads on that exact question...

I always tell myself that, and I always tell everyone else that... but deep down, even if they charged a little more, I'd probably still buy it.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
This is another CLASSIC example of the "self-centrism" that I constantly see on MacRumors. Why does every one of these 'tards speak like they represent the whole of the end-user market of Apple products.

I think you're being a little hard on this person. They're just expressing their opinion - it may be different from your opinion, it may even be wrong but it's still valid. Personally, I agree with you and would buy a smaller Apple notebook is it were available but you and I don't represent the whole end-user market either.

pinksalmon

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
best of both worlds! huge MBP and small smart phone(iPhone) or i guess if the rumors are true small MB and huge old school car phone.:apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hell, aren't the 1.8'' drives up to 120GB now?

Currently selling drives are 80GB per platter; you can get 80GB = 1 platter or 160GB = 2 platters, like in the iPod Classic. 120GB per platter will be out probably sometime next year, so you will get 120GB and 240GB disks sometime next year. One platter instead of two would obviously be flatter; that might make a difference for an extremely flat subnotebook.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
A sub-notebook might not provide enough power for some users, but they might not be able to afford an MBP either. The MacBook offers a good balance of both - a sub-notebook would make sense as an addition to the laptop line (MacBook Mini?), as then there would be 3 laptops and 3 desktops in Apple's range.

Sub-notebook for travellers/someone not requiring a powerful machine
MacBook for people wanting a balance of both power + value
MBP for professionals/rich frickers!

See, makes sense (and makes Apple's range include 3 desktops + 3 laptops). That way, Apple can further increase it's target audience.

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
I would be on a subnotebook like white on rice. My biggest problem today is that the only ultra-portable notebooks available are all windows-based.

I gave up an IBM X22 (which I used for YEARS, despite it's dated specs) for a MacBook Pro, and while I am satisfied for sure I am really missing the portability.

Obviously, gaming isn't going to be happening on a subnotebook. But that's not the point of one, imo. As a network engineer by trade, configuring gear holding the laptop with one hand while typing with the other is just another day on the job. Can't do that with a massive notebook.

Traveling is such a pain when having to unbag a 15" widescreen notebook and fit it into the bin. The local airport I fly through (SDF, Louisville) doesn't use bins big enough so my laptop is always in there at an angle and there's a good bit of anxiety as the TSA drone shoves it into the scanner. And for a long flight, it's impossible outside of first class to open a mbp and work on documentation/watch movies... unless you're lucky enough to be sitting in a row by yourself.

If apple releases the subnotebook even at a 3000$ price range I'll still be there release day with the bank card ready.

Been waiting for this for a long, long time

ed.sg

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Ultra Portable Macbook Pro, Wherefore Art Thou?

Leopard's launching and still nothing heard out!! Is it actually coming?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Leopard's launching and still nothing heard out!! Is it actually coming?

It's a rumor;)

Either way, I think that for a major announcement like this (a revolutionary product) will probably be shown in January. Just be a little more patient:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.