Risk buying refurbished macbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chacha2, Nov 10, 2006.

1. chacha2 macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2006
    I'd like to hear your opinions on the risk of buying a refurbished MB.

There were quite a lot of problems early on. Is it reasonable to assume that Apple has check ed the machines it's selling now for $899 and up for these problems? Or should one play it safe and put out $200 more for a new machine?

In my case speed really isn't the issue, I'm simply sick of PC land and am buying apple to have a nice stable, well-made machine to work on. Saving $200 would be really nice right now, but if there is anything more than a tiny risk of getting a lemon, I'd rather spend the money and buy a new one.

What do you think? Anyone have information on quality control?
  2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    Although I have no data to back this up (only Apple has the data), I would say that the odds of getting a lemon from buying a refurb are lower than buying new. The refurbs get a thorough check-over before they are resold. In many cases they are simply units that were returned because the customer didn't want them but opened the box anyway. You get the same warranty of course. The only thing you don't get is the nice box.
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Probably less risk buying a refurb then a new product. The refurbs are more carefully checked before they're sold. Plus, they come with same warrenty and service. Happy buying!
  4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    so long story short, if you do get a bad one, use the warranty to get it repaired.