.rm file conversion in Quicktime?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kntgsp, Apr 9, 2006.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Is there a way to convert .rm (real media) files into mpeg or other mac readable format using Quicktime?

Real Media Player is garbage, and I used Real Alternative on my PC, but there doesn't seem to be a counterpart. I'd like to convert them anyway, so that I can put the stuff on my iPod.

I have QTPro, and can't seem to find a way to do it, plug in or not.
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    this is a kindly remember to search...

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    superbovine, that link was totally useless. The OP wants to convert RealMedia files to OTHER FORMATS, not other formats to RealMedia, as was the case in the thread you linked.

I'm not aware of any RealMedia component for QuickTime at the moment, kntgsp, unfortunately... so I'm not aware of any way to do what you're wanting. However, I'm happy to be proven wrong if there really IS one out there.
  4. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2004
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    So am I right is saying that you use a windows PC to play the real media content? :eek: There is a command line program that might allow you to convert from your real media to any format you like, check out: FFMPeg Have only used it as a backend with some other programs but its highly rated all over the internet. Might also want to try: ffmpegX, it’s a front-end for a variety of Unix tools, have used it before, bit of a download to get everything and not supper easy to install, but its worked for me.

The problem with Real video or audio is that it is proprietary, so the newer versions of the codec’s might not work with free or open source applications.

Hope it helps.