.rm files into itunes?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thepreludedude, Oct 15, 2004.

1. thepreludedude macrumors member

hi. i have several music files that are in realplayer .rm files. how do i go about getting these into my itunes??

i am running osx10.3.5 and itunes4.6

thanks everyone:)

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Two attempts without promises that it'll work:

[1] Drag the file over the iTunes icon in the Dock and drop it in.
    [2] In iTunes, hit Command-O, and open the file from the resulting navigation menu.

Otherwise, do a search on download.cnet.com or versiontracker.com and see if there are hacks/apps that will allow you to run Realmedia files on iTunes. Or even better, look for audio extracters for Realmedia files.

If you have a second computer, an audio connection between them, and a recording app. on one of them, try this: Bring the .rm file over to a place where you can stream the audio into (the other) computer with the recording software on it. As you play the file on one computer, hit Record in your software, and allow the audio to be recorded into the other machine. There's your audio for the file. Now you just need to export that as an AIFF, convert that to the file type you choose in iTunes, and enjoy.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Officially, you can't. The companies that Real licence from have imposed restrictions on what Real can do with their code, and one of those restrictions is that RealAudio/RealVideo files can only be played in Real's player. I know of a Windows app (dMC) that can convert between RealAudio and other formats, but it basically works by playing the file using RealPlayer and recording the output.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sorry bud, but I don't think you can do it. You could try King Cobra's technique (I'd try it myself if I actually had any Real files), but I don't think it'll work. As far as I know, there's no way to play Real files in iTunes. :(

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here would be one of the easiest ways:

1. Get AudioHijack ( http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ ).
    2. It will record a .rm file while you play it, and save it as an AIFF.
    3. Import that AIFF into iTunes.

Lee Tom

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I bet ten thousand dollars that given the second computer, a working audio in/out cable connection between them, sufficient recording software on one machine, and iTunes and Realplayer on both, it'll work. Here's why: It's impossible for either computer to know that audio is being streamed from the Realplayer file on one computer into the other computer, because the audio connection can only send audio and in one direction. So there'll never be a message that says "You are not allowed to stream this audio" or "Port blocked because etc."

You can also use this same trick to get around the copy protection on iTunes Music Store purchases with an iPod, but you need to have an iPod. Note: I'm not advocating redistribution of protected media files, but rather telling you how to get around the protection so you can use the file for your own personal enjoyment without future complications.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

My apologies King Cobra, to be honest, I was lazy and actually only skimmed the first part of your post where you indicated your "2 attempts" - I didn't read your last paragraph, so that's what I get... ;)

So, for the record, I do agree that your method should work. Sorry, but you won't be getting my $10,000 - maybe another time.... :cool: