.rm files won.t play

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by atacinus, Jan 21, 2004.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

okay, i just downloaded the free realone player from real.com, and when i expand it, the little icon punches out. I double click on it and it goes into the dock like it.s started and then nothing loads and two seconds later it closes the icon in the dock like i left the program. I tried downloading a file from a different server...same problem...i tried just opening the media same problem...tried playing the media through a webpage...same problem. Anyone else have this expierience? anyway to fix it? what else can play .rm?

Thanks,
    Christien

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you confirmed that Real Player isn't able to play anything?

If so, try repairing permissions on your hard drive using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Check...and...Check

already tried permisions, and it.s not that it won.t play anything, it.s that the software app won.t even load. I click and it loads in the dock and then disappears all within about two seconds...and the real program isn.t running [command tab doesn.t show it et al]...???? anyone?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Remove all traces of Real Player, using Find to remove the libraries and p-files. Then Reinsall. It then should work. Also, not only repair permissions, but also check the disk, a small b-tree error will cause Real Player to be crap. Also make sure you don't RP in OS9, it can cause R1P to not work right.

Madd Love for Pat Cashman, the Voice of Real One.

TEG

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried all that...same problem. I.m currently downloading the classic version of realplayer...but i don.t want to have to load up os 9 everytime i want to watch a .rm clip...?? geez...stupid real product!

6. grobbins macrumors member

For RealOne Player for Mac OS X, you can completely reset the application by holding down control and shift when launching the player. A dialog offering to reset the player should appear asking if you want to reset it.

If the player still doesn't launch, then most likely your download is incomplete or corrupt. Just delete it and re-download the player via the link at the top right of real.com.

Contrary to TEG's comments, there is nothing at all common or shared between the Mac OS 9 and earlier versions of RealPlayer and the Mac OS X player, so there is no chance of interference from versions which run under Classic.

Some earlier releases of Mac OS X do occasionally launch the wrong version of an application on your hard drive, even if you double-clicked the correct version. If you have multiple copies of RealOne Player for Mac OS X, it's a good idea to toss the older ones in the trash and empty the trash.

7. macreator macrumors regular

macreator

While this may not help you....often when I download .rm files onto my PowerBook, it automatically thinks it is a graphics converter document so that when I open the file it opens Graphics Converter. I solve this problem by going to Get Info for the .rm file and changing the "Open with..." pull-down menu to RealPlayerOne. Hope this helped.

8. Bran macrumors member

I have the exact same problem as stated at the top of this topic. I am using the latest up to date 10.3 OSX and the latest RealPlayer. It simply appears to jump in the dock for a few seconds and exits again. This is on a fresh install of 10.3 without anything else. Crap....

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Upgrade StuffIt Expander to 8.0.1 or higher... then redownload the real play installer and extract and install... that very well might be your problem. Stuff It 8.0.0 had some weird problem where you could never install anything in Panther... clicking the installer had the same effect you are mentioning.

10. Bran macrumors member

I tried it. I downloaded StuffIt Standard 8.02. Extracted. Same thing. I'm assuming the thing that I got with the Realone logo is the installer?

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Icon is the actual application. Move it to the Applications folder, and try again. Sometime also repairing permissions might help.

TEG

12. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

i just downloaded the new stuffit and now have a wierd situation. the real one player works when copied to the desktop, but if I copy it into the applications folder it won.t load [it will close the same way as i described earlier...wow this post was old who 'found' it?]...also, just to make it clear, it will work if I drag the icon from my applications folder back to the desktop...but in the application folder...it won.t work.

13. Bran macrumors member

Is there an actually installer version of Realone player for OSX? I'd like to try that. Cuz the *.sit doesn't work no matter what I tried.

14. grobbins macrumors member

There isn't an installer for RealOne Player for Mac OS X, just the program itself.

Did you search your hard drive for any old copies of RealOne Player and drag them to the trash (and empty the trash)? Did you try holding down control and shift when launching the player to force it to reset?

What is the path to your copy of RealOne Player (you can find this by dragging the player into the terminal window), and what is the name of your hard drive? It's rare but possible for unusual characters in the path to the program to prevent it from running.

15. Bran macrumors member

I fixed my problem.
    Make sure the entire path to RealOne.app is in english only characters.
    Make sure the entire path to your *.rm file is all english.
    and finally make sure your drive is named in english alpha numeric characters.

Stupid Real couldn't bother to make their client unicode compatible, idiots.....

16. grobbins macrumors member

The characters don't have to be English; they just have to be representable in double-byte characters for the current language. RealOne Player uses Apple's routines for converting to and from older HFS-style paths (like Hard Drive:folder:file) and those paths can only represent double-byte characters for a single language; they can't represent all of Unicode. Any application using HFS paths will have this difficulty.

17. Bran macrumors member

Windows Media Player OSX comes to mind... :mad:

18. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman