Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChaosAngel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
UK
Hi all,

I currently have a 2015 rMBP connected to a Dell P2715Q via mDP. Everything works great and I get the standard retina scaling options at 60Hz.

I plan on buying my wife a rMB to replace her old MBA. What sort of experience will she get when connected to this monitor?

I'm guessing the standard Apple HDMI lead will immediately drop her to 30Hz, but will she still get the full range of retina scaling options?

Assuming there is a third-party USB-C to mDP cable available. Would this allow the rMB to drive full 60Hz.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
HDMI is limited to 3840x2160 at 30hz.

AFAIK, the displayport output on the Macbook is limited to 2,560 x 1,440 at 60Hz.

Can't say whether you will get the retina scaling options - seems like a lot to ask from the GPU. I think the only success stories I've read have been people using it at 1920x1080 which requires no graphics conversions.

I have the same monitor, and the Macbook, but as I don't really expect to connect the two, I haven't shelled out for the adapter. Kind of waiting for another hub that will be more useful to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.