Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi

I'm not sure whether this is normal or not. I have a rMBP and I am sure that the battery doesn't drain as much as this when sleeping/lid closed.

As the title says, while my rMB was sleeping for around 48hrs, the battery went from fully charged to 60% when I opened the lid.

Power nap is disabled. I am running El Captain GM.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Queen6

macrumors G4
Update to 10.11.0 or revert to 10.10.5, the behaviour is far from normal, I suspect a runaway process/webpage preventing the Notebook from entering full hibernation. My own 1.2 rMB sleep with very little depreciation of the battery, unless it`s for extended periods, > 1 week.

From Terminal code below will reveal wakeup`s
Code:
cat /var/log/system.log | grep -i "wake reason"

n.b. Power Nap only applies when external power is present.

Q-6

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
I had/have this issue. For me it was related to leaving Wifi on when the macbook lid was closed. Running a few terminal commands showed that with the lid closed it woke something like 300 times in a single night. The trigger for me was dropbox. If I turn wifi off the battery is fine. If I uninstalled dropbox the issue would go away.

Recently the issue came back and the only resolution was to manually turn off wifi between usages. Apple states it is an issue with something I am running. I recently returned the macbook to a completely stock OS and the issue was gone. I updated to El cap today, will see how it does overnight and report back. Hopefully this points you in the right direction.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That sounds like Power Nap, though I don't recall it being that draining to a battery.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How many seconds does it take to boot up from being powered off?

Suggestion:
Try powering all the way down a few times, then rebooting when you need to use it again.
Pay close attention to battery strength at shutdown and power-up.
Are you still losing capacity?

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I completely reinstalled fresh rather than th updated version I was running and it seems be doing much better now :) thanks!

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi again,

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have having issues with my rMB not sleeping properly. I will not use it or a couple of days and when I open it it has dropped like 40% of the battery.

I have re-installed OS X, updated to latest versions. Can't figure out what is causing it.

I have included a segment of the logs from Console that are being generated while the rMB is closed and supposed to be asleep.

I am getting annoyed now cause this needless draining of the battery is hours that I will lose for usefulness during its lifetime.

Thanks.

I have saved the extract from Console here: http://pastebin.com/8mJDJQsY

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
You can also see here: http://imgur.com/DcuvFII

This is a screenshot from iStat Menus that shows the battery usage, in particular the top graph shows what appear to be evenly spaced battery usage gaps that may suggest something is causing the MB to keep waking.

There is a lot of stuff in Console about DarkWake and 'keepalive'. I am not sure if its relevant.

Any help appreciated.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
The fact that the issue resolved itself for you before, but then came back implies its almost certainly a piece of software you have installed performing wakeups on the computer.

I am at work and cannot view the log you posted above, but most likely a program is polling even when the lid is closed.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
Looks like Wake On Lan, as the Console output says Wake Reason: network.
Isn't then some kind of device / user sending WoL packets via the Ethernet cable network?

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I don't know what would be sending data packets to the rMB.

I have any WoL options disabled in Power settings.

It is still playing up. In 2 days of "standby" it drained 30%'of the battery.

Dunno what the hell is going on.

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
Take it to the Apple Store. I ended up needing a new logic board. It resolved the issue finally. Had the exact same problem as you. Now I lose 0-3% overnight collapsed to 30-50%.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Sorry to bump a thread from a while ago. I have been ill the last few months so just getting round to trying to sort this again.

Question: When you close the lid of a Macbook (12-inch, Pro, Air etc), after X hours, does it slip into a deeper state of sleep so that it doesn't use the battery? I guess you would say hibernate rather than sleep? Or will it just stay in the same level of sleep and use battery until the battery is drained?

The reason I ask, I have a 15-inch Macbook Pro which seems to handle sleep so much better. I have barely used my laptops at all the last few months. I charged the MBP last week and it has held most of its charge with the lid closed. It does appear that it 'hibernates'.

Anyway...

I tried a few things to see whether I could nail down an issue that would be causing the drain. I disabled Bluetooth and Wi-Fi before closing the lid. Power Nap disabled. Pretty much everything disabled and still the battery drains.

Also... Although I have had the rMB for nearly a year, I have barely used it and yet the battery stats in coconutBattery do not seem to reflect the lack of use. The battery has dropped to 91% health after only 18 cycles. That to me doesn't look right?

WhdpFaR.png

I have set up a call back from Apple tomorrow to see whether they think it is a faulty battery. My 12 month Apple care runs out in August so am hoping they will fix it without issue.

I would appreciate any advice and thoughts. Thanks

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes the system drops into hibernate after 3 hours, you can check the power stats by opening Terminal input following code
Code:
pmset -g

With this you can see what is waking up the system "Wakeup`s"
Code:

I have observed that some BT speakers can wake the system if paired, so I set the system not to wake for BT devices, same applies to other peripherals; mouse KB etc.

As for CoconutBattery and System Information, seems to be all over the place with the rMB, my own 1.2 held a solid 95% for months, then dropped to 89% now fluctuates between 90% - 93% at around 70 cycles. As long as the battery gets through the day I don't really care.

Q-6

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Yes the system drops into hibernate after 3 hours, you can check the power stats by opening Terminal input following code
Code:
pmset -g

With this you can see what is waking up the system "Wakeup`s"
Code:

I have observed that some BT speakers can wake the system if paired, so I set the system not to wake for BT devices, same applies to other peripherals; mouse KB etc.

As for CoconutBattery and System Information, seems to be all over the place with the rMB, my own 1.2 held a solid 95% for months, then dropped to 89% now fluctuates between 90% - 93% at around 70 cycles. As long as the battery gets through the day I don't really care.

Q-6

Hmmm. Thanks for your reply and input. Unfortunately as I stated I have tried disabling BT all together before closing the lid.

From what I can understand, the system goes to sleep initially as expected, but the is continually woken in some fashion. When checking the console logs for the times the system should be sleeping, there are entries showing activity.

Again as stated above, I have tried a reinstallation of OS X but to no avail.

Queen6

macrumors G4
From the console log I would say it`s related to your router, might be an idea to try another and see what happens (family member, friend etc. not suggesting you randomly buy a new router)

Still worth to run cat /var/log/system.log | grep -i "wake reason" in Terminal and post the response as it may help to narrow down the problem.

Q-6

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
My rMB did something similar yesterday

Yesterday as I was walking around with the lid closed it still connected to known wifi networks and downloaded emails etc and so drained the battery a bit.

I checked and "power nap" on battery is off.

Will keep and eye on this to see if it was a one off or if its a regular thing.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
From the console log I would say it`s related to your router, might be an idea to try another and see what happens (family member, friend etc. not suggesting you randomly buy a new router)

Still worth to run cat /var/log/system.log | grep -i "wake reason" in Terminal and post the response as it may help to narrow down the problem.

Q-6

Hi Q-6

Thanks for your post. I will run your terminal command tomorrow when I open the MacBook.

Just for anyone else reading this topic and who might answer this question:

Over the space of say 12 hours with the lid of the 12-inch MacBook closed and sleeping, how much battery percent does yours drop?

My latest checks, over the space of 10 hours, the battery dropped 15%.

I just cannot believe that this is normal. With the MacBook being an ultra portable and having such a small battery, you would think the normal behaviour would be to be aggressive with the energy saving, i.e as soon as the lid is closed, the system goes into an ultra deep sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.