Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_astrotim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hello,

I'm interested in setting up a new rMBP 15" w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X to dual display two Dell P2415Q 4K monitors. I'm curious to know if this is compatible? If so, what accessories will I need to make it happen? Also, would a docking station (plug and go) work with this combo? If so, what would you recommend?

I'm an engineer and astrophotographer so I tend to travel quite often. That being said, I'd like to be able to quickly attach/detach my rMBP as quickly as possible. Also, I'm not a fan of a cluttered workspace so I'd like to maximize real estate and minimize the observable horde of wires. I apologize for the plethora of questions and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Best,
Tim

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Those screens should be fine MacBooks work well with dell screens in general.

A dock will be an issue for you because until we get thunderbolt 3 and thunderbolt 3 docks then you can only run one 4K display with a dock due to bandwidth.

Last edited:

_astrotim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Those screens should be fine MacBooks work well with dell screens in general.

A dock will be an issue for you because until we get thunderbolt 3 and thunderbolt 3 docks then you can only run one 4K display with a rock due to bandwidth.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Apple will announce the release date of their new TB 3 products within the next few months.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for the heads up! I guess I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that Apple will announce the release date of their new TB 3 products within the next few months.

If you haven't bought the computer yet then you'll want to wait for the next version of the 15 inch if at all possible. GPU technology is currently being given a big boost with the move from the 28nm manufacturing process to 14nm giving a big boost in performance/watt for the next generation GPU's.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
175 views and not a single reply. Gotta' love a ****** forum!

"Patience is not the ability to wait but how you act while you're waiting"
-Joyce Meyer

Your thread was up just shy of 9 hours before you shot back in here so hastily. Everything you asked could have easily been found within minutes of searching the forum but Samuelsan2001 was nice enough to jump in here and spoon feed the information to you. The nerve of those 175 MacRumors Visitors!

Last edited:
Reactions: vixster1901

_astrotim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Your thread was up just shy of 9 hours before you shot back in here so hastily. Everything you asked could have easily been found within minutes of searching the forum but Samuelsan2001 was nice enough to jump in here and spoon feed the information to you. The nerve of those 175 MacRumors Visitors!

Great input! Unfortunately, I don't agree with your logic. Yes, I already knew the answer to my question, but it's the comfort of reassurance that I was looking for before purchasing incompatible products. Typically, people result to forums for two things: 1. To ask subject-matter experts and a community of like-minded individuals advice to reassure and educate their goals in regards to the subject matter associated to that forum. 2. Networking and communicating with like-minded individuals that share similar interests.

For example, a beginner in astronomy that has an interest in astro imaging may lean towards an astrophotography related forum to seek additional guidance and assistance from subject-matter experts and the community.

Typically, from my experience (maybe I've just been lucky), forum members are usually more than happy and willing to share their input with others from experience. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to receive two responses out of hundreds of views. Maybe it's my military mindset that doesn't see the purpose of disregarding others in need of assistance due to superior complexes, lack of interest, or laziness.

Best,
Tim
[doublepost=1463152560][/doublepost]
If you haven't bought the computer yet then you'll want to wait for the next version of the 15 inch if at all possible. GPU technology is currently being given a big boost with the move from the 28nm manufacturing process to 14nm giving a big boost in performance/watt for the next generation GPU's.

Thanks again for the heads up! I've decided to wait it out and see if Apple announces their anticipated release dates for the new rMBP. I truly appreciate the advice and help! Have a great weekend :)

Tim

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Great input! Unfortunately, I don't agree with your logic. Yes, I already knew the answer to my question, but it's the comfort of reassurance that I was looking for before purchasing incompatible products. Typically, people result to forums for two things: 1. To ask subject-matter experts and a community of like-minded individuals advice to reassure and educate their goals in regards to the subject matter associated to that forum. 2. Networking and communicating with like-minded individuals that share similar interests.

For example, a beginner in astronomy that has an interest in astro imaging may lean towards an astrophotography related forum to seek additional guidance and assistance from subject-matter experts and the community.

Typically, from my experience (maybe I've just been lucky), forum members are usually more than happy and willing to share their input with others from experience. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to receive two responses out of hundreds of views. Maybe it's my military mindset that doesn't see the purpose of disregarding others in need of assistance due to superior complexes, lack of interest, or laziness.

Best,
Tim

Can you imagine if every member here posted explicit comments to threads they started because they didn’t receive a response within 9 hours? Every other post would be “175 views and not a single reply. Gotta' love a ****** forum!” That does not seem inducive to a board full of like minded individuals to facilitate exchange does it?

Your little diva meltdown was over 175 views correct? As I type this, there only 402 members of the total 4,389 viewing the forums right now. Applying that math to your view count, it’s possible only 16 members saw your post. Now most members don’t post and other members don’t have the knowledge you so desperately want validated. So it’s perfectly reasonable to assume that within those 9 hrs of your original post, no one with the relevant information came across your thread.

I figured an astrophotographer would have a bit more patience no?

At least within all this banter you received the answer you are looking for from Samuelsan2001.

Best of luck to you!

MRxROBOT

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Perhaps something else to consider. You asked a question that no one who saw the post had an answer. It's not like that many people have two 4K monitors. I can affirm that you can connect a 2715Q and a 2412 (HD) monitor to a 15-in MBP.

Reactions: MRxROBOT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.