Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Does anyone else own both / used both computers mentioned in the title?

I picked up an Air to complement my rMBP for increased portability. However, the screens are seemingly two worlds apart. I never expected rMBP quality but the colors on this screen are completely flat/muted and washed out looking compared to the rMBP. The colors don't "pop" at all.

When I tilt the screen up, the icons look a lot better. It's like there is no contrast at all.

This is the Mid 2012 version.

Thoughts?

bastisk8

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2010
I owned both and you`re right. The macbook Air`s screen seems washed out in comparisons. Especially red-tones look pale.
Yet I kept it due to form factor and in my opinion, its the better package for the price.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
LG panel.

Explains it.

Well, the profile certainly looks better but I'm still wishing I got a Samsung display...

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I'm experiencing the same thing.

I couldn't decide whether to buy an Air or a Pro Retina. So I got both and was going to return the one I like less. The Retina is absolutely stunning, but I'm actually leaning towards keeping the Air, 'cos I find that once I step away from the computers for a few hours and I come back and start using the Air, I'm perfectly fine with the screen resolution as long as I don't compare it to the Retina side-by-side.

But the Air's screen is so much more yellowish. I was about to create a new thread and ask whether this is normal for the Air's screen, or maybe I just got a lemon. This Air has a Samsung screen. On the Retina, the blue is more of a true, deeper blue. On the Air, the blue is yellowish, washed out.

Screen brigthness is adjusted the same on both screens. And trust me the Air's yellowish screen is not due to the difference in brightness 'cos I've played with the settings a lot.

photo1.jpg

photo1copy2.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Good post GP20, and thanks for that.

I took some side by side comparisons as well and yours pretty much sums it up anyway. The colors are more yellow and are not as vibrant, in comparison to the rMBP.

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
So even without comparing to the retina, is it normal for the Air's screen to be this washed out? Or did I get one of the few flawed units? I used a cMBP for about a week 2 months ago and don't recall the screen being this yellowish.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
GP20, I don't think its flawed, its an inherent limitation of the display itself. Warm vs cool screens have already produced much debate and there is no clear winner.

I don't think that color temperature has anything to do with the color vibrancy by itself.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Like someone else said, the Samsung is the better of the two; however, the air has the worst color gamut of their entire laptop lineup. Even though the pros have a lower resolution, the color is better and more accurate so it looks better.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Like someone else said, the Samsung is the better of the two; however, the air has the worst color gamut of their entire laptop lineup. Even though the pros have a lower resolution, the color is better and more accurate so it looks better.

Huh? Someone above said LG was better. Both have their pros and cons. Can't say one is clearly better than the other once you fix the stock LG profile.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Huh? Someone above said LG was better. Both have their pros and cons. Can't say one is clearly better than the other once you fix the stock LG profile.

I have owned both, and while the color on the LG is greatly improved by a color profile, it still does not "pop" like a Samsung.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I have owned both, and while the color on the LG is greatly improved by a color profile, it still does not "pop" like a Samsung.

It isn't as clear cut as that. Many others have owned both and realize they both have their pros and cons. Countless threads on this issue. Calibrated LG is better than a Samsung.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499786/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1389918/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1195142/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1197503/

I hope I get an LG on my MBA next week.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
So even without comparing to the retina, is it normal for the Air's screen to be this washed out? Or did I get one of the few flawed units? I used a cMBP for about a week 2 months ago and don't recall the screen being this yellowish.

Yes it is normal. All Air displays look washed out, go to the Apple store and compare the Airs to Pros.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Well I just noticed another issue...

At the bottom of the screen, there is a serious shadow effect. I noticed it when I first turned on the computer, and later dismissed it after I convinced myself it was the dock making the shadow. I turned the computer off and on again and it is a clear shadow running right above the bottom of the screen (all the way across). It's a horrid anomaly to accept coming from the rMBP's amazing screen.

Not sure if I will return the Air completely or try to switch until I get a keeper.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I have an LG and after calibration it looks perfect and natural not over saturated.

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Since we're talking about screens, is the Air's screen made of glass or plastic? I thought I had read that it's plastic. But 2 geniuses at 2 different apple stores told me its glass.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Since we're talking about screens, is the Air's screen made of glass or plastic? I thought I had read that it's plastic. But 2 geniuses at 2 different apple stores told me its glass.

Can't you just touch it and tell? It's plastic. Not sure where those geniuses got that from.

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Can't you just touch it and tell? It's plastic. Not sure where those geniuses got that from.

LOL. I tried touching it and couldn't really tell the difference. Except just now when I tried to rub the screens. The Air's screen makes a squeaky noise, and the Pro's glass screen doesn't.:p

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The screens on the Airs do not stack up to a retina. This is to be expected. The retina is a couple of magnitudes higher in quality. I have a 11" air and two 15" retinas. I use the air out and about and for taking notes. As long as you know ahead of time that the air screen isn't going to be great then you won't obsess about it. If you want to do anything graphical though, you're much better off with a retina. The airs are designed as super mobile computers and they excel in this respect. They really aren't meant as workstations for anyone doing photo, video or graphical work. You can do it on them, but they aren't well designed for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.