Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
My niece sent me the attached image. As you can see, the screen is showing vertical lines on the right 1/3. She indicated that it was working properly yesterday, she closed the screen, and when she reopened it a bit later it appeared this way.

She is away at college, so I have not seen the computer myself. She said it has not been dropped. And she rebooted with no luck.

I did ask her to try plugging the laptop into her TV (she has the appropriate adapter and HDMI cable), but she was heading off to classes so will try that ASAP.

Any ideas what the issue might be? She will be taking it to an Apple store ASAP, but with the recent iPhone release, I am afraid she may not be able to get a reservation for a while.

It is a Retina MBP, 13-inch, Late 2013 model with 256gb drive an 8gb RAM.

Thanks

Attachments

• MBP.jpg
    MBP.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 221

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Physical damage - there's nothing that can be done, other then replace it :(

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
That is a cracked panel. The printed circuit board is located at the bottom of the display, between the hinges. It seems like the damage is also extended to either the printed circuit board or the integrated circuits...

Either way, you will have to replace the display out-of-pocket for $300~400.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
That is a cracked panel. The printed circuit board is located at the bottom of the display, between the hinges. It seems like the damage is also extended to either the printed circuit board or the integrated circuits...

Either way, you will have to replace the display out-of-pocket for $300~400.
Actually...$300-$400 would be a relief...I was thinking $600-$800.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

It's one of the reasons the new MacBooks are such a pain to possess long-term.
If one part fails, you've got to pretty much replace at least half of the laptop.

You may be able to get a refurbished display clamshell module for a bit cheaper elsewhere, and repair it yourself.
From what I know, it's not too hard to remove the previous screen and attach a new one.

EDIT:
My service record is for my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display, Mid 2012 model.
Since your niece's laptop is a 13" model, it may be a bit cheaper.
Probably not by much, but every little bit helps.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

It's one of the reasons the new MacBooks are such a pain to possess long-term.
If one part fails, you've got to pretty much replace at least half of the laptop.

You may be able to get a refurbished display clamshell module for a bit cheaper elsewhere, and repair it yourself.
From what I know, it's not too hard to remove the previous screen and attach a new one.
That's a thought

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Check my edit above if you haven't already.

Thanks again...I haven't heard back from her in a few days, but I am guessing she has not yet taken the laptop to the Apple Store. I am sure she will be calling me once she does...probably with a sob story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.