Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NostalgiaLane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Hello,

So a few weeks back I was watching a YouTube video on my rMBP when the screen froze, and a stuttering noise was coming from the machine. I had to hold down the power button to turn the machine off however when I restarted the system it ran fine. After initial research I found this to be a sign of the Hard Drive failing, I ran the Hardware test and no errors came up.

Jump to several hours ago, I was browsing the web while listening to music, yet again the screen froze however leaning in closer I found the music audio to be stuttering rather than a stuttering noise from inside.

This makes me think the first time it happened it was simply the audio stuttering and not something stuttering/clicking from inside.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Has anyone else experienced this? I assume its software related (hopefully) and not hardware related.

craigy2302

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Scarborough, North Yorkshire
Hey,

Just so you know, you're not alone experiencing this.

I have had my rMBP around a month now, and have experienced this a few times. It happened this morning, which did require me to hold down the power button to restart. I only had my usual apps open (Chrome, Sublime Text, Spotify and Transmit), and have no kernel extensions or anything installed.

Previously when it has happened, it has been when I have plugged in or unplugged my thunderbolt gigabit ethernet adaptor (once causing a kernel panic), but other times it has recovered from it after a few seconds.

I am going to run the AHT tonight, and will post back with my results.

Craig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.