Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielsemper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys,

I am interested to compare pros and cons of:

rMBP (15 inch, 512GB) vs. MBA (13 inch, 128GB) + iMac (21.5, 2.7GHz)

I have MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15 inches, I recently bought it in Sydney, Australia (July 21). I bought it in my local Apple Store, mainly it has:

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB RAM
512 GB Flash Storage

Here it costs $3199 AUD, but I got it with student discount at $2979 :)

I am very happy with the rMBP 15", the retina display is great, the CPU speed is perfect (I need to use latest Photoshop, Flash and 3 browsers with 40 tabs open each). What I don't like so much is that it is quite heavy to carry, I mainly use it in my room, is not confortable to take it to classes. Other think that I don't like is that for example when I use Photoshop I feel more confortable using the big screens, like in the old iMacs at University.

My rMBP has 3 months of use, so I dont think I qualify for an Apple refund, so maybe I can re-sell it in eBay or in the university boards (UTS) at something around $2600 AUD (I hope).

Doing some numbers, if I get that money I can buy a MBA 13" 128GB and the new iMac 21.5" (the cheapest). Both cost $1350 + $1429 = $2779 AUD.

With student discount both are: $1299 (MBA13) + $1379 (iMac 21.5 2.7GHz) = $2678 AUD

Should I sell it to buy those two?

- I will be loosing the retina display, the MBA and new iMac dont have it.
- I will be loosing a i7 CPU. The iMac has an i5.
- I will be loosing the 512GB in SSD, for just 128GB SSD in the MBA. I dont like HDD, they are noisy and unreliable.

- I will be winning a big screen to work at home, more confortable for media software.
- I will be winning a lot of portability (specially in the weight) with a MBA, but loosing screen size in laptop.

- 8GB of RAM is in both, rMBP and iMac.

What do you think? I bet I am not the only one thinking to sell a new rMB for an iMac and MBA, or considering wich options be better to buy.

Last edited:

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I wouldn't give up the Retina Display for anything. If I were you I'd just spend a few hundred dollars and get an external display for your rMBP for using at home.

danielsemper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Good advise. Thanks

I wouldn't give up the Retina Display for anything. If I were you I'd just spend a few hundred dollars and get an external display for your rMBP for using at home.

Probably you are right, Retina screens are the future and I shouldn't go out of that line once I am in (I looove to see my HD photos in this screen). I think that you gave me a good advise, I will just save some money to get a new monitor :)

Another advantage of the rMBP is that if I have to travel for a few days to work in another country, I just have to bring it with me (all my files and CPU power will travel with me).

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Probably you are right, Retina screens are the future and I shouldn't go out of that line once I am in (I looove to see my HD photos in this screen). I think that you gave me a good advise, I will just save some money to get a new monitor :)

Another advantage of the rMBP is that if I have to travel for a few days to work in another country, I just have to bring it with me (all my files and CPU power will travel with me).

This will do your desk justice: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/82969

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.