RNC tells TV stations not to run anti-Bush ads

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, Mar 7, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

RNC tells TV stations not to run anti-Bush ads

GOP committee says MoveOn.org's spots are illegally financed

Sunday, March 7, 2004 Posted: 12:07 AM EST (0507 GMT)
    One of the ads in question, called "Child's Play," ends with the tag line, "Guess who's going to pay off President Bush's $1 trillion deficit?"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Republican National Committee is warning television stations across the country not to run ads from the MoveOn.org Voter Fund that criticize President Bush, charging that the left-leaning political group is paying for them with money raised in violation of the new campaign-finance law.

"As a broadcaster licensed by the Federal Communications Commission, you have a responsibility to the viewing public, and to your licensing agency, to refrain from complicity in any illegal activity," said the RNC's chief counsel, Jill Holtzman Vogel, in a letter sent to about 250 stations Friday.

"Now that you have been apprised of the law, to prevent further violations of federal law, we urge you to remove these advertisements from your station's broadcast rotation" . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/07/moveon.ads/index.html

Yes, the RNC gets to say who advertises, what your views will be, who can raise money. Yes, democracy is alive and well in America!

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

stelliform -

your claims are at cross purposes w/ what's on the moveon site here

soros gave them $5 million. i do not feel, however, that they are "being used for George Soros' political leanings". moveon has at least $10 million raised from sources other than Soros, which is more than enough to cover the ads. from the original article:

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry, i wasn't clear. they have about $15 million, so $10 million (which for purposes of this conversation i'll assume is made up of small donations) is available for ads.

in that sense, yeah. but that's a pretty broad agenda. i thought you meant that soros basically formed MoveOn, but i see now that's not what you meant.

let's say that means $10 million. do you think the RNC should shutup if that's all moveon is going to spend? or should they try to keep moveon from airing anything at all?

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

RNC is smacking more and more of big brother and only we know what is good for you, this kind of stuff makes me sick and suggest that I pull the democratic lever more and more. what kind of abuse of laws do we get next? oh yeah only corporations can donate? Lobbiest are allready telling these guys how to vote,they dont want to hear from the little guy at all. These kind of tactics are very scary and remind me somewhat of Nazi Germany.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think we all remember the ads which depicted Michael Dukakis either in mocking terms (remember the tank ride?) or via outright scare tactics (Willie Horton). So if the left chooses to play the same game, I'm not gonna cry any crocodile tears.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather nobody ran these kinds of ads. But since this loophole exists, the liberals (for once) have gone on the offensive, and done it to the conservatives before they did it to them.

From my understanding re: the legality...the ads are legal as long as they don't specifically advocate any candidate. They don't. They depict Bush as a reckless spender and a liar, but they don't promote Kerry or anyone else.

In the big picture, this is clearly an effort on the part of liberals to stop playing Mr. Nice Guy (and therefore finishing last), and get just as nasty as Roger Ailes and his ilk...just as Al Franken's book was an effort to counter the lunacy of Ann Coulter, earlier this year. Again, while I hate to see this kind of "spirited" discussion, I also have to admit I'm glad the left has decided to stop just sitting there and taking it.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Wow. The RNC's giving pro bono legal advice now.

How noble.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but what's interesting to me is that this isn't the action of the DNC, or some highly organized lobbyist organization. it's two people (initially) w/ a lot of grass roots support, both through small donation and creative efforts (the scores of commercials that were independently produced and sent it). the soros gift is the only exception.