RNC's private prison for protesters in NY

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Sep 9, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

link

For some pictures go here

Just who are the real "freedom haters" in this world?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there's something fairly unbelievable about this story. anyone got another source?

3. ocellnuri macrumors regular

There are a few hundred comments on the page with the pictures. They tell more first-hand accounts, and I think there are a few links.

4. kilpajr macrumors regular

This is ridiculous. If this story is really legitimate, why have none of the major networks shown any of this? This is pure propaganda. Is it possible some people were taken near the protesters by accident? Absolutely. Was the situation as bad as this site tries to make it look? Definitely not.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

No, THAT is ridiculous. You really believe that the major news networks cover stuff like this? They hate being sympathetic to protesters. I saw so much stuff go down at WTO that was appalling on the police side that never appeared in the local or national news, then or since.

I witnessed a policeman mace a homeless man lying down on the ground, because there were protesters near. A group of protesters then washed out his eyes with water and sat with him until he felt better.

I have no doubt in my mind that this story is legitimate. What part of it is really that unbelievable???

Lee Tom

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

The way protesters, EXERCISING THEIR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS, were treated is ridiculous. Were protesters at the DNC sent to a similar place? No. So wait...does that mean its okay for people to protest one person and not okay for people to protest another?

Oh wait, do you not know what the Bill of Rights is? Here, let me quote, verbatim, the First Amendment.
    Jeez, you'd think the Bush administration would be used to criticism from protesters, since they've been getting a lot of that in the past 4 years.

7. ocellnuri macrumors regular

It's just part of the War on Criticis- I mean.. Terrorism.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hmmmmm...as much as I despise the Bush Administration, this seems too much for even them...it also seems like journalistic dynamite, if true...

I am not dismissing this out of hand, but need some more verification to lend credibility to something this unbelieveable...will keep an eye out.

9. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

A Police response to the allegations and further responses to the Police's response.

link

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the original link
    okay, cool. i checked out their site, and found info about pier 57 here
    okay, i can believe that people were detained in this area by the NYC police force and there were probably a number of rights being violated. it's this business about the RNC funding a detention area that i find somewhat unbelievable. but i'll keep digging.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i went to the front page of the originally linked site, www.rense.com . i found a few, uh, tidbits. here are some other stories linked to from the main page:
    • The Flying Triangle Enigma
    • UFO Appears For Second Year At UK Air Show - Photos
    • Bush Bisexuality Asserted In Scorching New Book -- Is Bush Gay?
    • 911 Was Staged To Defame Muslims

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

What strikes me is that both zim and blackfox have expressed ardent views in opposition to the Bush administration, yet they still question as incredible reports that support their general contentions.

Can we say the same about their conservative counterparts? :rolleyes:

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm not finding anything remotely reasonable about the RNC funding the pier 57 detention center. i did find this...

link

14. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't check out any other stories on that website, they do sound rather dodgy.

Attention grabbing headline though. Cal me the king of yellow journalism.

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Aren't we all missing the larger picture here? Namely that people were arrested for nothing more than criticizing the president. This doesn't sound any alarms?

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I don't disbelieve the basic account. The DC police did the same sort of thing a couple years ago I think at an IMF/World Bank protest.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

They were arrested for things like "parading without a permit." Many protests were allowed to proceed peaceably.

However, it does sound like the treatment of the protesters was appalling, by any stretch, and many people were arrested mistakenly. I'd say the conditions at Guantanamo were in many ways better.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, tons of alarms. if you'll recall, the city was basically found in contempt and, according to estimates, will have to pay some half million in fines.

but this behavior is nothing new when bush comes to town. keep 'em away and lock 'em up.

it's the "RNC funded the holding area" thing which i found so unbelievable and wanted to look into more.

19. MikeAR macrumors newbie

Here's a good first hand account of an RNC Protest expirience on a larger scale. It's a group of gay anti-RNC protesters who were help for quite a while without reason and then charged and fined.

http://www.alternet.org/wiretap/19791/

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hey, just remember that we haven't suffered another terrorist attack here in the US since 9-11.

Oh, by the way I have some of Lisa's "tiger rocks" available.... :D

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

wait so is that all you care about? That the US hasnt had another real terrorist attack since three years ago?

You do realize many other countries have to deal with terrorist attacks, be it in small or large numbers, every day?
    • In the bombing outside the Australian Embassy in Jakarta, 11 people died.
    • In the Beslan hostage situation, 300+ people were killed, with 200+ missing.
    • Blast near Moscow subway station kills 10 people.
    • Airplane bombings in Russia kill 90.
    • ~22 foreign oil workers in Saudi Arabia were taken hostage and later killed.
    • The March 2004 Madrid train bombings killed 200 people and injured 1400.
    • 14 Hamas terrorists were killed and 40 were wounded in an Israeli airstrike earlier this month.
    • 109 Kurds are killed in 2 suicide bombings in Arbil, Iraq
    • Suicide bombings at Shi'a holy sites in Iraq kill 181 and wound more than 500

The list goes on and on. The US is neither the only victim of [major] terrorist attacks, nor are they the only terrorists.
    Really, 9/11 was a sad event but to see how people try to take advantage of that for their own greed is unbelievable. Instead of having memorials remembering the events of 9/11 people should lynch people who only care about 9/11 for the emotional meaning it has for most people worldwide and use it for their own purposes. We're the laughingstock of everybody because we cannot deal with it, and have to use it as an excuse to kill people and become labeled as terrorists.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If NY works anything like Mass, the RNC may have been required to pay for extra police details during the convention as a condition of getting their permits. If so, RNC would indeed have footed the bill, but how things were run would have been all up to the city.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that makes perfect sense. that's a far cry from what's being claimed in the article, imo.

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

25. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, I believe that something as described is perfectly plausible in New York. I couldn't help but be reminded of the ordeal of picking up a towed car from Pier 76 :D