Road bike color suggestions

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Aug 8, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of having my '84 Nishiki road bike painted. Right now its a ugly 80's teal, and has been forever, but since its got thousands of miles its got its share of scuffs. I would like to get a new paint job as I will be rebiulding the ccompanants, so basically a new bike. i have narowd it down to these colors. Tell me what you think.

Oh yeah, I want to keep it one solid color, and I will not be putting the decals back on, just plain.

flat black
    gloss black
    lime green
    bright yellow
    very dark purple
    very dark blue
    burnt orange
    white

other suggestions are welcome.

thanks and forgive my spelling, please

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm... Black's a pretty safe colour. I'd personally go the flat black route. :)

3. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, the flat black would also make it look less apealing to thieves, I hope. lol

4. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

I'd go for purple.
    As a kid I had a purple tricycle.

I threw an absolute tantrum when they first gave me my tric, it was avocado green. (Hand me down). :rolleyes:

5. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

okay, after some long thought, I have narrowed it down to:

Flat Black
    gloss Black
    White
    Dark Purple
    or lime green

there's a custom powder coater in the area, so I might go that route, but I'm worried about weight. Does anyone here know how much powder coated weighs?

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

1. worried about weight on an 80's nishiki? :confused:
    2. going to pay to powder coat an 80's nishiki? :confused:

you're better off saving the money from the paint job, buying a mid 90's frame in the color you want. and it'll be lighter.

7. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I know......

I have had this bike for 13 years, and have come attached to it. I do have a trek 1500, but I find myself riding this one the most. Since its already a heavy frame, I don't want to make it any heavier.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

again.... worrying about weight on that frame is pointless... what is it, lugged steel? don't fret about it...

you're better off spending money on a wheelset if you want to drop weight noticably...

powercoating isn't the lightest paint job available, but it will look good... how much $ is it going to set you back?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Powder coat is all solids so it goes on lighter but doesn't change weight hardly at all.

A can of spray paint is mostly liquid, which should almost all go away (leaving 10-20% solids behind) as it drys.

So even if you use up 2 12 oz cans of automotive spray paint, it would only be a couple/few ounces after drying and finish sanding.

10. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

yes it is lugged steel. i already have all new components, and a pretty light wheel set. The powder coated quoted me 50$ if I do all the prep myself.

a little OT, but since your form DC, have you ever heard of Hollins? he makes custom frames out of Reisterstown. My co-worker just had one made, and oh my god is it sweet.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haven't heard of them... there is a company out of north carolina (?i think?) named 'endless'. they make some nice frames... i've also had my eye on an evil for a while- they're built up near boston.

any links for the guy nearby?

12. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I can get you the info if you'd lke. I'm not sure he as a website, but he's real good. He biulds in steel, but his bike are ligher them most alum i have riden

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting...

not really in the market for anything at the moment, but will get in touch with you when i'm ready for something new... thanks for the info though

back to the topic... what are you thinking for a color? and what are the rest of the specs on the bike? :D

14. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking either:
    flat black
    gloss black
    white
    dark purple
    lime green

the specs are Ultegra the whole way around. Easton carbon fork, Thompson seatpost and stem. Bontrager wheels (cant remember the model, I'm at work) I still have not make my mind up in saddle, and still contemplating tires. i have old cheapies I got from performance a few years back on it now.

Its turning out to be a better bike then it ever was before. if I can get to my liking, I might even sell the trek 1500