Road Rage Sucks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by e²Studios, Jan 17, 2006.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

So I am driving home today, im about to exit the freeway and this guy in a honda accord cuts from the middle lane in front of me so he can exit.. fine whatever i say.. driving down a 2 way street i noticed the van in front of said car was going at a pretty slow pace, i merge to the left and the idiot that cut me off merges behind me. Driver is tailgating me worse than ive ever been tailgated (i lived in LA for years, i know tailgating), i tap my brakes just to get the rear lights to brighten.. driver comes closer to me... i speed up a bit with this car still on my tail end and merge in front of the slower vehicle on the right. coming to a signal other driver swerves directly in front of me, exits his car and is screaming for me to come out (year right, as if im that stupid), light turns green and there is enough room so i start to go around his car, right at the moment of acceleration he bashes my drivers side door in with his foot (I honestly think he was aiming for my window)... i pull up more.. no way in hell im getting out of the car, he zooms off, right before he zooms off i see strobing lights come on a Chevy Suburban in the opposite direction, he makes a u turn and takes off after the Honda.

I'm on the side of the road, i call 911, the Suburban comes back while i am talking to a 911 operator. He was a off duty fire captain (explains the emergency lights) and he gave me a description of the guy, the car and the car's license plate number. I give that information and the last direction of travel to the 911 operator. So then i thank the guy who hands me his information says he saw the whole thing and would be a witness for either my insurance and the police report. The last thing he said was "well that guys is pretty screwed, witness that will testify, and got his plate numbers"

Waited 2 hours to file a report, officer that took it said that given the amount of damage to the door and that california has a road rage law the kid (he looked to be no more than 19 or 20) could be facing felony charges.

So now I need to call my insurance company who will surely make this a "comprehensive" claim and make me fork out $500 for this idiots actions... Just a rant, i mean this person could face felony charges for his bout of stupidity, but he deserves it in my opinion.

Thanks for listening to my rant..

Ed

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

And that's why everyone should keep a crowbar in easy reach from the driver's seat. ;)

j/k

but seriously, you should!

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

F crowbars, use a crossbow go medievil on his *ss, seriously they are smaller and much more fun:cool:

Sucks you have to pay money but check the damage it may not be worth filing a claim, instead pay yourself .

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And from your version of the account which, btw, I believe, there was nothing you could have done differently to have avoided it, other than not getting out of bed, today. To realize this is happening, randomly and repeatedly, is a real concern to all. I hope they nail him. Good luck.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Actually, in California, that's illegal. Any potential weapons have to be transported in the trunk. You aren't even supposed to have a baseball bat within reach.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

At least someone saw it and got the plates, really it could be a lot worse. I just don't know what gets into some people.

7. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Laws are for losers!:p

But honestly that sucks a lot, hopefully the police find him. Keep us updated, care for any pics?

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

yup there is always a *beep* on the road to jack up your day.

Bless

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

These sorts of things are a regular occurrence in the Great State of Texas. :rolleyes: I've had my vehicle keyed twice (with a nice f*** you on my hood), a group of thugs in Deep Ellum proceeded to bash my car in after we were involved in a minor fender bender, and a crazed group of teenagers harassed a group of us in the Sierra Club by throwing beer bottles and running us off the road (based on their behavior and bloodshot eyes, they looked to be tweaked on crystal).

Hopefully the authorities will catch the bastard and charge him appropriately.

10. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

My insurance company is doing an estimate tomorrow, ill take some photos too. The damage is pretty substantial considering it was a foot.

I just hope the person gets nailed for this, they have more than enough information to form a case against him. Plus a witness that happened to be a Fire Captain for the local city.

My insurance company said they will run a License trace on the plate number but since the person struck my car it is vandalism and I'm out my deductible. I guess the car could be registered to someone other than the guy that did this, but when you have the police coming to the registered owners door i doubt he can hide for long.

Ed

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You definitely did the right thing. You didn't get out of the car (or participate in any way), and you called 911 as soon as you could.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If I am reading this correctly; you can actually carry a rifle or shotgun w/out locking it up. Link

13. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

So here is it is... $1,586.32 and they think since the power windows doesnt work (motor doesnt actuate at all) there may be more internal damage that they wont catch until after they get the old door shell off.

Called the detective bureau from the local PD, they are starting an investigation. Insurance said they will persue them for damages too, if and i think its a big if they collect then ill get my deductible refunded to me.

Here is a photo. Just glad it was my commuter car, had it been my 5 series i bet it would have costed more...

Hope they arrest the idiot, then i hope he enjoys wage garnishment or whatever to refund the damage..

Ed

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
  14. aquajet macrumors 68020

My word...he did that with his foot? Was he a muscular guy? Maybe he was on the juice. That would explain the outburst and the super-human strength.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think the first place the detectives should look is in the ER, for someone with a broken toe/foot. That is one big dent from someone just kicking the car, and it had to of hurt him.

16. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The witness said it was more like a stomp than a kick, the guy was 5'10" - 6' tall. And i agree with you, there has to be at least some swelling from a kick that hard.

The guy cuts me off, tailgates me, then he has the nerve to get out of the car and be upset at me.. for what.. trying to avoid him? I have no clue wtf is with people nowadays, but hopefully a few days/months/weeks in a cell with Bubba and a lawsuit from my insurance company it will maybe set this guy straight.

From what a detective told me this is should be persued as a felony since road rage was a "modifier" and there was so much damage. There will/could also be a charge for attempted assualt but he wasnt too sure how well that one could stick.

Ed

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Just another reason why the USA should give certain people Licenses to Kill. I hate people, more importantly I hate stupid people with no respect. It's unfortunate you didn't have a license to kill. Just shoot him, call the local pickup squad to peel his brains off the cement and throw his body into the incinerator.

That really sucks man, hopefully they'll catch him. Please, please please please press charges! It will make me so happy if this scumbag gets a felony.

Best of luck!

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That is one, big dent from just a foot. :eek: Go with the plates. Has anyone ID'd the plates, yet? Go get'em.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm glad you didn't get out of the car. Imagine if that foot hit your body. That would have been a big dent on the side of your face.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Isn't a horizontal stomp considered a kick? ;) But it really doesn't matter how he did it, fact is he did it, and that's that.

Bubba usually has that effect on people. :p

If you felt like this guy would have harmed you if you got out of the car, go ahead and press attempted assault charges. The worst thing that can happen is the judge kicking it out.

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

Wow. How delightfully odious. Perhaps you're on to something...

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haven't been here on MR lately so I missed this thread...

Ed,

That sucks! I'm glad that you didn't get hurt at all... and that at least your door still works (as in, it opens, closes, and keeps you 'safely' in, right?). And you have a trustworthy witness. Whew.

Hope that idiot gets caught. (And insurance doesn't hassle you for the repairs/costs.)

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

he he...one of my jobs (gardening/landscaping) has me carrying around a lot of power tools and fertilizer (yes, the explosive type) and the other one (computer hardware tech) has me carrying around osha hazardous levels of mercury/lead/chromium...i guess i better not get pulled over ;)

i used to also have a pt job delivering medications including sudafed and i guess someone could mistaken me for a mobile meth lab ;)

but seriously EdH, that's a horrible incident that happened to you...i once heard legendary defense lawyer garragos say that if they locked up all 18-24 year old males (like the road rage perp in your case), 90% percent of all crime would disappear but until they do that, just realize who is out there on the road and keep a red flag out there for over-testosteroned boys behind the wheel

the instances i have seen with road rage centers around this demographic and i have also seen some pretty stupid driving from teenage girls, too

i fully admit, with great shame, that i grew up during "dukes of hazzard" and that show, the original one, probably influenced my driving in the first year i had my wheels...i think my crazy driving days were over when my friend and i got stuck in the dirt on this house lot that was a house my friend's father was building as the head contractor...he had to re-level the whole property again due to our stupidity trying to emulate dem duke boys

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

He's lucky not to be in Florida, you could have shot him with a gun, and it would have been perfectly legal. The NRA just worked really hard to pass a self defense law that allows you to use deadly force if you are threatened. Imagine that kind of thing happening in Florida, and having the driver shoot the guy. Its all possible and basically legal in Florida, since the persons property and safety were threatened.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i could imagine a case in florida one day:

but your honor, i had to rob that bank with my gun because it's so big that it blocks my view and i consider it a hazard to my person...that and hidden bank fees